25

MANHATTAN, NEW YORK

5 October 2000 - 7.00 p.m.

HILMAN heaved a sigh of relieve when the car he drove finally entered the compound of Radisson Emire Hotel. But still, his heart was beating fast. Driving in a big city was no easy task. It turned Hilman into a nerve wreck.

He had to drive on the right side of the road while seating to the left. It didn't help that the gear was on his right. He felt awkward. Many times he drove on the wrong side prompting other drivers to honk at him.

"Yes, bravo! Bravo!" Jeslina clapped her hand. 

Nor ALia, who was seating beside Hilman just raised her eyebrow and drew a long breath. She, too, was nervous. Renting a car was her own idea. No harm in trying a new experience, besides saving on cab fare. As a result, she nearly panicked when Hilman frequently drove on the wrong side of the road. She was nauseous, too. Her panic seemed to wrench the veins from her heart. Her whole body went cold. 

Hilman turned to Nor Alia. His sister-in-law was all too quiet. Hilman shook his head. 

"If this is how it is, I'd rather take the yellow cab. It's easier." Hilman grumbled. Yellow cab was what the locals referred to as taxi.

"Aw, come on, dad. You,ve only drive in New York for one day. It'd get better tomorrow." Jeslina cheered her father on.

Jeslina liked it more if her dad drove around the city. More convenient to go anywhere and safe too. Safe?

Taking the yellow cab, for Jeslina, would cause her some discomfort. Almost of all the cab drivers in the city worried her with their various antics. Some were rude and not to mention some who acted like some psycho. And for the kind ones, they were too kind for comfort.

"What can I do, Jes? Look at how I drove. You saw it yourself. It was a disaster! I couldn't even find the road," Hilman complained.

"Dad... please," Jeslina pacified her father.

Jeslina, who was seating at the back, held out her hands, put it around Hilman's neck and kissed him on the cheek.

Their itinerary for the evening was to go to Queens. But, they got lost and reached Harlem north of Manhattan where most of the dwellers were blacks. Then Hilman drove on and lost his way again reaching El Barrio near the Triborough Bridge. There, Hilman drove in circles looking for the way out. Even with a map, Hilman frequently lost his way.

The strange thing was, their aimless journey brought them to south Manhattan. That was a long drive from north to south. Their intended destination vanished who knows where and the way back to the hotel was like a maze. They stopped and rested near the Twin Tower of World Trade Center.

"Just like the Petronas Twin Tower, isn't it, dad?" Jeslina said.

"It is, indeed..." Nor Alia was already full of concern, restless and dizzy.

"Mm..." That was all Hilman said. He looked up and watched the tallest building in New York. Instantly, he remembered the incident at KLCC.

***********************************************************************************************

THE World Trade Center is 410 meters high, with 110 floors, 43,600 windows, 250 lifts and its whole facade equals to 406,000 square meters. It is estimated 100,000 people work in the complex, administration, hotels, shops and parking malls.

"Let's go back." Nor Alia implored like a small child. 

"Aw, auntie, you're not sporting at all," Jeslina curled her lips.