53

SUBANG JAYA MEDICAL CENTER

17 October 2000 - 12.57 p.m.

HAJAH FATIMAH cried when she saw Jeslina's condition. Haji Imran watched his granddaughter sadly. Jeslina looked just like her mother, Haslinda. 

Datuk Harun and Datin RUbiah just stood watching them. The looks on their faces were serious. Nor Alia, who stood close to the window, too, couldn't hold her tears. She sympathized with Hilman's parents. This was the first time they had seen their granddaughter. 

Jeslina lay in bed as though she was in a deep sleep. Her face was clean except for the little pale. The air that became the breath in her chest waved gently. Though her condition had stabilized, Jeslina was actually fighting for her life. Only her own strength could save her.

Haji Imran walked towards the bathroom. He reappeared three minutes later. His face, hands, and feet were wet. Haji Imran had performed ablution. He took out the surah Yasin from his luggage, arranged a chair by Jeslina's bedside, and sat down. He prepared himself to recite the surah Yasin.

"Hold it!" Datuk Harun stopped Haji Imran.

Haji Imran turned. 

"Just what are you doing?" Datuk Harun questioned, a bit rough. 

"Recite the surah Yasin," Haji Imran replied, unperturbed. 

"The surah Yasin is only recited over a dead person. Jeslina is not dead yet." Datuk Harun's tone was rude. 

"Datuk..." Haji Imran countered, politely. "... surah Yasin is not just for the dead. Its benefits are vast. By God's Grace... reciting it could cure, and should God's Will arrive it would make it easier for the Angel of Death to perform his duty. Please don't be mistaken, Datuk," Haji Imran explained. 

"You'll be responsible if my granddaughter dies," blamed Datuk Harun. 

"Everybody dies, Datuk. But please don't say that in front of my granddaughter." Haji Imran refused to give in. He'd had enough.

Haji Imran continued to recite the surah Yasin unperturbed by Datuk Harun's protest. 

"Hey!" Datuk Harun roared. 

"Father, please..." Nor Alia interfered. "Jeslina needed the strength to live on. And that strength would only come from God."

Datuk Harun felt like he had been slapped right in the face. He stopped talking. Hearing God's name made him stop his protest. Though throughout his life to this day he had never performed his obligation to God. Finally, Datuk Harun grunted loudly. 

***********************************************************************************************

HAJI IMRAN finished his recitation, true are the words that came from God, Most Merciful, Most Gracious. All praises are to God, Ruler upon the sky and earth and everything that dwells on it. The One and Only God for all beings. God, Most Pure. 

Haji Imran turned to his wife and asked, "What time is it, dear?"

"It's 1.30 afternoon."

Haji Imran inhaled deeply. He looked closely at his granddaughter. Nothing had changed. But her face was not as pale as before. It's a change indeed, though his granddaughter had yet to regain consciousness. Haji Imran strongly believed that Jeslina would be fine, by God's Grace. 

"If that's the case, let us go and perform the zuhur prayer."

Hajah Fatimah nodded. 

Haji Imran stood up from the chair and went close to Datuk Harun and Datin Rubiah. Both of them looked sad and gloomy.

"Please forgive me for raising my voice, Datuk."

"I'm sorry, too. I was mistaken." Datuk Harun said softly. Datin Rubiah just nodded and looked at her husband.

"We're going to perform the zuhur prayer. We'll be back soon," Haji Imran said. His words were still soft and polite. He was not at least intimidated by his son's father-in-law's attitude. 

"Err... let me show you where the prayer room is," Nor Alia volunteered. 

Hajah Fatimah smiled at Nor Alia. She's so kind. Just like her late sister, Haslinda. Hajah Fatimah whispered to herself. 

Nor Alia took the opportunity during the walk to the prayer room to apologize for her father's attitude. She was ashamed at how her father had treated Haji Imran when he wanted to recite the surah Yasin. She did tell them earlier when she was at their home in Teluk Intan, that she went there with her parent's blessing. 

But, Haji Imran never took offense. After all, Datuk Harun had said he was sorry. He'd be glad to forgive Nor Alia's father.  Hajah Fatimah asked Nor Alia along so that they could pray together in the lady's prayer room.

Haji Imran performed the ablution. When he had finished, he noticed that there was only one man in the room and he had already finished his prayers. Haji Imran took a prayer mat from a wooden hanger close by the door and spread it o  the floor. As he was preparing himself to perform the zuhur prayer, Datuk Harun entered. He shook hands with the earlier man who was on his way out. 

"Haji..." Datuk Harun called. His tone was flat. 

Haji Imran turned. A smile flashed from his lips. 

"Wait for me. Let's pray together," Datuk Harun implored. 

Haji Imran nodded. 

God, be praised. Haji Imran whispered to himself. Only God has the power to move a man's heart that had been closed shut for a long time. It is by His Will that a servant could return to the right path and return willingly to his God... God, Most Pure... the only God to be worshipped.