31

NEW YORK HOSPITAL

10 October 2000 - 11.30 a.m

DATUK HARUN and Datin Rubiah were shocked to hear about the accident involving their granddaughter. Throughout the journey from Newark International Airport, New Jersey, Datuk Harun never stop berating Nor Alia for the accident. Datin Rubiah, who was sitting beside Nor Alia, watched in silence. She wouldn't dare to interrupt nor defend Nor Alia when her husband was venting his anger. For all she knew, she could end up being scolded herself. 

Soon as they reached the hospital, they rushed to see Jeslina at her two-bedded ward. Datin Rubiah couldn't hold herself when she saw her granddaughter lying weak and lifeless in a coma.

"Alia... just look at Jeslina's condition! This wouldn't have happened if you were not so eager to let Hilman know about her."

Datuk Harun's anger knew no bound. Nor Alia stood at the corner of the room, unmoving. Like her mother, she too, couldn't control her grief. Her tears fell, s though it wouldn't stop. 

Datuk Harun stepped out of the room. 

"Where are you going, dear?" Datin Rubiah asked. 

"To see the doctor."

Nor Alia turned toward the window and looked outside. The traffic condition along Franklin D Roosevelt Road did nothing to distract her from what she was feeling. She was pensive, drowned in her own emotions.

Datin Rubiah, who was watching Nor Alia, quickly got to her. Nor Alia turned and looked into her mother's eyes. Then she embraced her mother. 

"I was only doing what I thought was best, mother," Nor Alia sobbed. 

Datin Rubiah rubbed Nor Alia's back. 

"It's alright, dear. Whatever happened... happened," Datin Rubiah consoled her daughter. "Let's just pray to Go for Jeslina's safety."

"Hilman is innocent, mother." In her grief, Nor Alia still defended her brother-in-law.

Datin Rubiah relaxed her hold on Nor Alia. She rested her hands on her daughter's shoulder. 

"You're still defending him?" Datin Rubiah looked deep into Nor Alia's eyes.

"I don't understand why Dr. Cohen said Hilman was drunk when he was driving. Hilman never drink," Nor Alia said. 

"Hilman was drunk?" Datin Rubiah was surprised. 

"Hilman wasn't drunk, mother," Nor Alia said firmly. 

"What is it with you, Alia?" Datin Rubiah shook Nor Alia's shoulder. "Why are you so eager to defend Hilman? Why?" Datin Rubiah raised her voice a little.  Nor Alia didn't answer. 

The door opened. Datin Rubiah stopped her pressure on Nor Alia. Datuk Harun appeared followed by two nurses and an attendant. They pushed a four-wheeled bed along with them.

"I'm transferring her to a VIP ward." Datuk Harun said. 

The two nurses and attendant transferred Jeslina on the four-wheeled bed. The water bottle that hung on a wheeled pole and the breathing machine followed. And soon, they were pushing the patient and the medical apparatus out from the ward. 

"This is class one. Not suitable for Jeslina."

Datuk Harun's arrogance was too pronounced. Datin Rubiah and Nor Alia remained silent. 

They stepped out of the ward together with the hospital staff and headed for the lift. Jeslina would be moved to the VIP ward located at the upper floor.