34

FBI HEADQUARTERS, WASHINGTON D.C. 

12 October 2000 - 4.15 p.m.

LOMAX and Billy was satisfied with the security arrangement in New York. President Jack William was scheduled to speak at the Civic Center, south Manhattan as part of his tour for the coming general election on 7th November. New York Police Department (NYPD) was mobilized to guard the vicinities where the president would be visiting. 

Civic Center is one of the places considered popular in south Manhattan. It is strategically located, close to Brooklyn Bridge and not too far from the New York Exchange Building and the World Trade Center. Stretching to the south is Battery Park, popular for its view over the Statue of Liberty at Liberty Island. 

At this moment, Lomax and Billy were still busy with their investigations on the document theft and murder of several staff members of the Democrat Party. The investigations started off with the questioning of a few individuals who were of interest. In fact, at the same time, Washington D.C. Homicide conducted its own investigation even though, at first, the FBI did not encourage such interference. 

President Jack William had requested that the FBI and Washington D.C. Homicide worked together so that the case could be resolved faster. Those responsible for the theft and murder must be brought to justice and punished accordingly. 

Tonight, Lomax and Billy put the case up for discussion. The nearly an hour long discussion was intense. Lomax was surprised when Billy suggested that Jack William be included for questioning during their investigation. 

"I don't think so, Billy," Lomax said, disagreeing to Billy's suggestion as it was against protocol. The President and White House was the true executive of the United States that adopt a governing system with a president. The President, as the executive, held absolute power as stated in the constitution. 

"Just because he's the President?" Billy questioned.

"The President should not be involved!" Lomax affirmed. 

"Yeah, but the President could be the prime suspect."

"Oh, hell, no!" Lomax protested quickly. "Your suspicions are ludicrous, Billy," he continued. 

"Does that mean, he doesn't have a motive?" Billy blared out. The theory to implicate America's President could be ridiculous but, maybe, there was logic in it.

"What the hell are you talking about, Billy?" Lomax stared at his partner. They were always at loggerheads with each other as they have different theories during the investigation. 

"We won't question the President," Lomax decided. 

"He has a mistress! I know what you know!" Billy challenged. 

"No, damn it!" Lomax blasted. His voice was too strong.

Billy was stunned. As an officer in the FBI, he should know a few rules that limited an investigation on the White House, least of all, the president.

"The presidency is an institution, not a person. And that institution is to be protected at all costs," Lomax was angry. "Damn it, Billy... what's wrong with you?"

"You want to hide a crime?" Billy retorted, cynically.

"Billy... look! It's a bit off your turf... okay?" Lomax said. 

"We are the FBI, sir!" Billy remarked.

A knock came from the office's door. 

"Come in!" Lomax yelled. 

A black woman looked in. 

"Call for you, Lomax," she said.

"I'm not taking any calls," Lomax replied. 

"It's the White House." The woman informed. 

"Holy smoke! You're a Democrat." Billy cut in.

"And how about you? Democrat or Republican?"

"I think Washington is drowning in a sea of its own bullshit."

"Okay..."

Lomax looked cool, not like before. Smiling to himself, he left Billy on his own. 

"Damn!" Billy swore. His attempts failed. 

***********************************************************************************************

TELUK INTAN, PERAK

13 October 2000 - 4.40 a.m.

HAJI IMRAN gave his full concentration as he performed his night prayers. It had been his routine every night. The news of the accident that involved his son, Hilman and his granddaughter, Jeslina, saddened him. Especially more so his wife, Hajah Fatimah. They never stopped praying, day and night, that the misfortune would end on a happy note. Tonight, as dawn approached, Haji Imran seemed consumed in his prayer.

He sought God's compassion that his prayers be answered in his favor. It was in line with the al-Quran verse 153 of surah al-Baqarah  that explained:

"O, people who believe, seek (God's) help with patience and in prayers, for indeed God accompanies those who are patient,"

***********************************************************************************************

HAJI IMRAN ended his prayers. At his final bow, he prayed to God have mercy on his son and granddaughter. That they be lifted from their misfortunes. That the truth would overwhelm the false. 

When he had finished, he continued reciting over his rosary as he waited for dawn. Time crawled hastily without him realizing when he heard the muezzin at  a nearby mosque called the Muslims to congregate for the dawn prayer. Without hesitation, Haji Imran rose. He intended to go to the mosque to join the congregation. He heard Hajah Fatimah cleared her throat as he was about to open the door. 

"Dear... let's just pray together at home."

Haji Imran nodded. He called off his intention to go to the mosque. He walked back to where he was and spread the prayer rug on the floor. He spread another piece for his wife. And soon, they were in deep concentration as they pray to God as husband and wife. 

They remained quiet soon after they had finished. They were still sitting on their respective prayer rugs. Both feeling down. Then Haji Imran sighed softly. No cheer on his face. Hajah Fatimah, too, depressed. 

"I believe God will help our son and granddaughter." At last, Haji Imran said as he inhaled a long breath.

"What are you thinking now, dear?"

"Just leave it to God." That was all he could say.

"Do you think we should go there?" Hajah Fatimah asked. Tears welled in her eyes.

"We don't have enough cash," Haji Imran sighed. 

Eventually, Hajah Fatimah cried. Tears flowed freely from her eyes. Haji Imran watched his wife cried. 

"I have confidence in Hilman. I taught him well, as a man who respect the law of Islam. I believe something is not right with the accident," Haji Imran let his opinion be known.

"Then... are we to just do nothing?" Hajah Fatimah protested. 

Haji Imran sighed. He knew what his wife meant. He understood, too well, how his wife felt about her son.

"Be patient, dear," Haji Imran calmed his wife. "God wills it that Hilman could overcome any problems... he's a fighter." Haji Imran's confidence in his son's strength. But, he just could not find the reason for the injustice done to his son.

"We're not going over, then?"

Haji Imran shook his head. 

Hajah Fatimah cried again.

Slowly, Haji Imran stood and folded the prayer rug. Then, he went close and kissed his wife on the forehead. 

"Be patient. God is always with those who are patient," he said. Then he opened the door and stepped out. He sat on the porch and then watched the sun as it shed its rays over the land. The red hues over the horizon began to disappear.