36

NEW YORK HOSPITAL

13 October 2000 - 1.15 p.m.

HALF an hour earlier, Hilman enjoyed his lat hospital meal before being transferred to a NYPD cell. Two police officers would escort him out of the hospital. Another officer would wait outside the hospital acting as the driver. 

Before he was escorted out, Hilman pleaded with Dr. Cohen to see Jeslina. But, his request was rejected on the grounds that it involved certain technical problems as well as the hospital's procedure. The truth was, Datuk Harun had met Dr. Cohen and ordered not to allow Hilman to see his granddaughter. Datuk Harun had complained that Hilman had caused some trouble during his last visit. 

Hilman was disappointed and strained. But he still managed to control his anger. Still, within his heart he was intent on teaching his father-in-law a lesson after he was freed. 

One of the NYPD police officers handcuffed his hands to the front, once he was certain that Hilman was ready. 

"Move on damn it!" the uniformed guy said, crudely. Then they both escorted Hilman out from the ward. 

Hilman tolerated the rough treatment. A few times, he was pushed until he nearly fell. The two officers would stifle a laugh on seeing Hilman that way. Indeed, they had plans for Hilman. Harassment! They would do all sorts of things to Hilman as long as there was no visible physical injury involved. They would pour water on him when he was about to fall asleep and make him stay awake for a 24-hour stretch on the pretext of conducting an investigation. 

"Come on, get in the back!" an officer ordered soon as the back car door opened. Hilman's head was pushed as he was forced to get into the car. 

Hilman sat between the two police officers. The other officer who was the driver of the vehicle turned his head towards the back of the car. He eyed Hilman and nodded his head. Steel bars separated the driver seat from the back seat. 

"See what we've got," the police officer to Hilman's left said. 

"An Asian animal!" the police officer on the right replied. 

They laughed together. Hilman still kept his calm. 

"Hey... hey! Just take it easy, okay. Don't ever touch him," the driver reminded. His colleagues, who were on a provocative path towards Hilman, just kept on laughing.

"We won't! Just move on! Ha, ha..."

***********************************************************************************************

GABRIEL stopped his car at the front of main entrance to New York Hospital. He looked at the wristwatch. 2.30 p.m. Gabriel sighed. Heavy traffic at the South Manhattan had caused them to divert to a longer route to the hospital. 

"Wait a while," Mia Sara rushed out of the car and ran into the hospital building.

"The traffic here's so terrible. Worse than KL," Daljit complained. 

Daljit leaned backward. Tried to rest his body from the aches that was the result from being trapped in a traffic congestion. Gabriel, however, looked cool.

Daljit turned. He kept quiet when he saw Gabriel's reaction. He believed Gabriel was too tired from driving through the heavy traffic. The one-hour journey took more than two hours because of it. 

Moments later, Mia Sara come. She was frowning. Worried. 

"What happened?" Gabriel asked.

"Hilman. He has been taken to NYPD."

"How now?" Gabriel asked again.

"Let's go to New York police station now," Mia Sara directed. 

"All right."