42

NEW YORK HOSPITAL

14 October 2000 - 5.49 p.m.

DATUK HARUN, Datin Rubiah and Nor Alia were relieved when Dr. Cohen told them that Jeslina, though unconscious, was in a stable condition. She was wheeled back to her ward soon after she received emergency treatment and her condition stabilized.

"Rubi..." Datuk Harun, who had been looking out the window, called out. 

Datin Rubiah and Nor Alia, who were sitting by the bed, turned. 

"I think... it would be better if we take Jeslina back to Malaysia," Datuk Harun said. 

His wife and daughter exchanged looks. 

"I... I'm beginning to have doubts about this hospital," Datuk Harun continued. Datin Rubiah and Nor Alia remained quiet. 

Datuk Harun walked over and sat on the sofa. His heart leaden. His mind full of concern for his granddaughter. 

"But... this hospital is equipped with modern technologies." Datin Rubiah broke her silence countering her husband's opinion.

"I want to try the traditional method. Who knows..." Datuk Harun could not continue. He breathed hard. "I don't know, Rubi. I'm confused. When I think about it... we're more dependent on the hospital's modern medicine. Whilst prayers are included in traditional medicine." Datuk Harun's tone was flat. His conscience filled with guilt. 

A smile appeared on Nor Alia's lips. She knew, her father's stubborn heart was beginning to soften. 

"What do you think, Alia?" Datuk Harun asked. 

"I... agree with you, father. All these while, we've been trying our best but we never really prayed. Whereas, trying and praying go together," Nor Alia said, sincerely. Finally, they agreed on something. 

"Alright, then. If that's what you and Alia think, I follow." The family discussion was sealed with Datin Rubiah's agreement.

"I'll speak to Dr. Cohen and call the embassy," Datuk Harun said. 

There was a knock on the door. Nor Alia marched to the door and opened it. It was Mia Sara. Nor Alia turned to her father before allowing Mia Sara to come in. Datuk Harun nodded his permission. 

"Come in, Mia Sara," Nor Alia invited. 

"Thank you," Mia Sara nodded. She rushed to Jeslina's bed and stared at Jeslina's face for quite a while. Sympathy and love filled her heart. Oh, God, please let her be alright. She whispered in her heart. 

Mia Sara flashed her smile at Datin Rubiah who was sitting at the bedside. Nor Alia, who was standing behind Mia Sara, touched her shoulder. She offered Mia Sara a seat on the sofa. 

"How's Jeslina, Datuk?" Mia Sara asked, soft and polite. Her words were diplomatic and respectful. 

"Dr. Cohen said she's stable," Datuk Harun sighed a reply. "I just can't believe why she'd suddenly went into coma. She was fine when she woke up this morning."

"What else did Dr. Cohen said, beside that?" Mia Sara asked. 

Datuk Harun thought for a while. "Hmm... a mild concussion to the brain." He seemed a little unsure of his answers. "Could be the result of a hard knock on the head during the accident."

Dartuk Harun thought again. His face turned into a frown. "But... an X-ray on Jeslina's brain showed no damage."

"Jeslina went into coma all of a sudden?" Mia Sara scowled. Suspicions clouded her thoughts about the problem. "Before she went into coma, was there anyone gave Jeslina any medicine or an injection?" Mia Sara acted like a detective.