45

TUDOR HOTEL, NEW YORK

15 October 2000 - 3.10 a.m.

THE lobby was still and quiet. Now and then, the silence would be broken by a counter staff answering a telephone call. At this moment, Mia Sara, Gabriel and Daljit sat at a corner near a glass panel. From there, they could see the city's everlasting night scene clearly. 

Mia Sara inhaled deeply then released her breath softly. Hilman's disapperance made her worry. Gabriel, who told her about the dreadful incident at the hotel in Chinatown just a couple of hours ago, could only watch. Daljit looked sleepy. Now and then he yawned and moved his head about to release the tension on his nape. 

"I don't think Hilman would return to Chinatown. I know him. Even if I'd known him for only a week. I did a research on him. He's a policeman who was trained to deal with any situation. I'm confident, too confident, that Hilman can survive and able to overcome whatever challenges he meets," Gabriel said. 

Daljit, who was sitting beside him, yawned again. Sometimes, his eyes would close and his head would bob up and down.

"Where do you think he would go?"

"I've no idea, Sara," Gabriel replied.

Mia Sara heaved a short breath. They toned down their voice while speaking. Their presence at the lobby attracted the receptionist's attention. Now and then he would glance towards them while doing his work.

Daljit rested his head on the sofa's armrest. He snorted a few times. By the fifth minute, he fell asleep while sitting down. His breathing could be heard clearly. Now and then he would snore or coughed to adjust his breathing.

Mia Sara looked at Daljit. She sympathized with him. Seconds later, she turned back to Gabriel.

"He shouldn't have been involved," Mia Sara said.

"He's a reporter, Sara. They, too, are trained to get information," Gabriel said turning to look at Daljit. He smiled when he heard Daljit snored. 

"So... how now?" Gabriel looked at Mia Sara. His question did not get any immediate response from Mia Sara. Gabriel remained quiet. 

"Anyway...  we must find Hilman. The lawyer, Grace, wants Hilman to present himself and do another blood test."

"Theoretically and assumably, Sara, Hilman would never surrender," Gabriel said, confident. Mia Sara stared at him, waiting for him to elaborate.

"His daughter is in a coma for a second time. I believe he already knows about it. There's a possibility that he would find other avenues to solve this problem."

"Other avenues?" Mia Sara frowned. "Sounds like bad news to me," she continued later. 

"Yes!" Gabriel nodded. "Revenge!" Gabriel stressed his voice when whispering the word. 

"What do you mean?"

"Suppose Hilman knows who was behind the accident. He'd do something that we'd never think of, Sara. He's all too familiar with this life endangering situations. From what I gathered... Hilman and one of his comrades once rescued a US officer from enemy capture in Bosnia. Bosnia... a country destroyed by war, Sara," Gabriel explained. 

Mia Sara was speechless. 

"Imagine, Sara, how strong is this man's survival instinct," Gabriel remarked.

"Hilman could do it during wartime, this is just America. In a peacetime condition, Hilman would find it much easier," Gabriel said again.

"Did I miss something, Gabriel?"