56

SUBANG JAYA MEDICAL CENTER

19 October 2000 - 1.13 a.m.

NOR ALIA felt relief when her father joined Haji Imran in reciting the surah Yasin. They sat together side by side by Jeslina's bedside. Datuk Harun's reading wasn't fluent enough but the willingness in his heart kept him going. While at the same time, Haji Imran had finished his recitation of the surah and was now repeating the same surah, just to accompany Datuk Harun. 

Datin Rubiah had gone home with Hajah Fatimah. They would be back later in the morning. Nor Alia stayed on. Besides Jeslina, Hilman was also on her mind. Her heart was sad. Hilman's words about the accident being caused by the United States President were hard to believe. 

Haji Imran and Datuk Harun finished their readings. Datuk Harun heaved a deep sigh. He felt really peaceful. Haji Imran smiled. Silently, he was pleased with the change in his son's father-in-law. Deep within, he wished for Hilman to be accepted by Datuk Harun and Datin Rubiah as their son-in-law, after years of isolation that caused Hilman to be separated from his daughter, Jeslina. 

Datuk Harun yawned. His eyes were red. He began to feel sleepy. But, he kept staring at his granddaughter. He wanted to see the change in Jeslina. At this moment, the girl's face seemed to radiate from a glow within herself. Datuk Harun found it hard to explain. But, the fact remained that Jeslina was not as pale as before. 

"Aren't you sleepy, Haji?"

"You go and have a sleep first, Datuk. I'm going to the prayer room," Haji Imran said.

"Prayer room? I thought you'd already done the isyak prayer," Datuk Harun wondered. 

"I've already slept earlier, in the prayer room," Haji Imran said. The truth was, he fell asleep while waiting for the isyak prayer to start. 

"So you're going there, to pray again?"

"I was hoping to perform the night prayer and express my purpose to the Almighty."

"If that's the case, I'd like to go, too, Haji."

"But you have to sleep first, Datuk. Then only you can perform the night prayer. After that, continue with the prayer to express your purpose," Haji Imran explains, diplomatically.

Datuk Harun pondered. 

"Let's do it this way, Datuk. Why don't you sleep over there..." Haji Imran pointed to the sofa. "... we'll do the prayer together, soon as you're awake," Haji Imran suggested. 

Datuk Harun smiled. Actually, he had no idea how to perform the prayers mentioned by Haji Imran. He wanted to join Haji Imran and pray together. Haji Imran's readiness to wait for him pleased him so much. 

2.45 a.m. Haji Imran was still awake sitting on his chair. While Datuk Harun was fast asleep on the sofa. Nor Alia slept on another sofa, in a sitting position. While waiting for Datuk Harun to wake, Haji Imran passed his time testing the surah Yasin, in a low tone. 

Now and then, Datuk Harun snored. Haji Imran would glance at him and smile. Obviously, Datuk Harun was tired. The fatigue caused him to snore loudly. Nor Alia would, now and then, shift from right to left and vice versa.

All of a sudden, Datuk Harun coughed. He woke up immediately and rose, still sitting on the sofa. Dazed. He inhaled deeply, then released his breath lengthily. 

"You're still awake, Haji?"

Haji Imran nodded. Datuk Harun stretched his body and stood on his feet. 

"You want to go back to sleep, Datuk?" Haji Imran asked. 

Datuk Harun shook his head. 

"Then let's go to the prayer room now," Haji Imran suggested.