26

NEW YORK

7 October 2000 - 2.30 p.m.

JESLINA was too happy to see that her father had gotten more comfortable driving in New York. This morning they had, accidentally, arrived at Times Square at 42nd Street that connected to Broadway. An area long developed, it's own uniqueness stood out because it was far from the city's crowd. 

Hilman and Jeslina stayed for nearly half an hour. Nor Alia didn't come along, today. She'd decided to rest at the hotel due to her fever. But even without Nor Alia, Jeslina insisted to tour around New York City with her father. They planned to go to Queens by crossing the Brooklyn Bridge or Manhattan Bridge. Actually, the two bridges were quite far from Queens. It would take 30 minutes crossing the two famous bridges to reach Brooklyn.

Nevertheless, once again they lost their way. This time they reached the well-known railway station in New York, the Grand Central Terminal Station. The station was built between 1903 and 1913, covering an area of 19 hectares. It has two floor. The top floor has 41 rails, and 26 rails at the lower floor. On average, more than 550 trains and 180,000 commuters use the station daily. The topmost peak hour was recorded on 3 July 1974 when 252,288 people commuted at the station. 

"Okay, girl. Where to now?" Hilman asked his teenage daughter after they had finished eating lunch at a restaurant at the railway station.

"Queens!" Jeslina replied. 

Hilman heaved a sigh. He spread a map and looked for their present location. 

"Queens... here," Hilman said pointing at Queens on the map. "We go by Queensboro Bridge."

"Why can't we go by Brooklyn Bridge, dad?" Jeslina asked. 

"It's quite far if we go by that bridge, dear. Queensboro is nearer. Maybe, next time if we're going to Brooklyn," Hilman explained. 

"Okay, if that's the case let's go to Brooklyn first. Then we go to Queens." Jeslina suggested without reference to geographic location nor travelling time. 

"It's too far, love. We won't make it." Hilman protested, amiably. "What's the time now, Jes?" he asked later.

"It's 3.00 p.m," Jeslina replied. 

"Mm... we can't make it," Hilman continued. 

"Then let's just go where we could, dad. We'll continue tomorrow," Jeslina beamed a naughty smile. 

"Heh... no can do. I have to take you to New York University tomorrow."

Jeslina pouted her lips.

"Okay. Let's go!" her father said. 

Hilman stepped on the accelerator.

"Let's hope we don't get lost again," Hilman said, glancing at his daughter who was resting her back on the seat, easing off her tiredness.

"Even if we're lost... we'll get to another place, dad. That's what they call new experience," Jeslina giggled. 

"Oh, yeah... new experience." Hilman mimicked his daughter.

Jeslina laughed as she watched her father contorted his face in jester. Hilman looked tired. But he didn't want to upset his daughter. They were closer now although they had not met for a long time. Exactly what Hilman wanted to preserve. Jeslina was the only child he had with Haslinda. Jeslina was his sweetheart. His life. Hilman loved Jeslina too much. More than his love for himself. 

***********************************************************************************************

THE night was getting late, near to 9.30 p.m. Like it was before, during the day time, Hilman and Jeslina lost their way again. They couldn't find their way back to the hotel. They arrived at Queens around 7.00 p.m earlier. From there they went to Forest Hill and doubled back to Middle Village. They decided, after dinner there, to head back to their hotel.