21

DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

2 October 2000 - 2.30 a.m.

THE Malaysian Airlines' Boeing 777 landed safely at Dubai International Airport, United Arab Emirates (UAE). The plane left KLIA Sepang at approximately 11.30 last night and flew for nearly seven hours.

The plane would transit for one hour before resuming its flight to the United States. Hilman and all other passengers were requested to disembark. While passengers going to Dubai were told to proceed to the baggage area to retrieve their belongings. 

Dubai is a popular tourist destination in the Middle East. UAE shared a border with Saudi Arabia and Oman. It is separated from Iran by the Oman Gulf. To the north lie Bahrain, Kuwait and Iraq. Foreign tourists who flock to Dubai consider it as a world class shopping destination.

The three-storeyed airport terminal housed several conveniences for those who are merely on transit. There's 24-hour cafe at the top floor. Money changing services are located at the mezzanine floor while below are shops offering souvenirs, other merchandises such as clothing and sporting items and a mini supermarket. On average, the shops here are manned by workers from the Philippines, India and Pakistan.

***********************************************************************************************

A SALESGIRL of Philippines origin greeted Hilman as he was browsing the souvenirs such as pens, writing books and sculptured glass, each one bearing the word 'Dubai'. It was meant as a tourist promotion.

 "Yes sir?"

"How much is this pen?" Hilman enquired.

"One doller," the salesgirl replied. 

"Hmm... mahal juga, ya?" Hilman mumbled in Malay.

"Mahal?"

The woman laughed. She had interpreted the word to the Philippine language. In Tagalog 'mahal' means love.

"Oh, I'm sorry, sir," the woman apologized in response to Hilman's stare.

Finally, Hilman bought a pen with the word 'Dubai' etched on it. Hilman handed a US one dollar note. 

"Minal mahal kita," Hilman said in Tagalog, jokingly. He walked out to continue his browsing at the other shops.

The salesgirl was surprised. The man could speak Tagalog. She whispered in her heart. 'Minal mahal kita' means 'I love you'. Then she smiled to herself.

After looking through several shops there, Hilman bought a Turkey-made jacket for Jeslina. He was not good at choosing anything special for Jeslina. But the jacket looked pretty. After guessing his daughter's size based on her age, Hilman paid for the jacket without bargaining on the price. For his sister-in-law, Hilman bought a colorful China-made scarf.

Tired from walking, Hilman walked up to the top floor and went into the cafe. He ordered a cup of strong coffee and a piece of cake. In the meanwhile, he let his mind wandered off to Malaysia. Just to replay his recent conversation with his father, Haji Imran. His father's words still lingered in his mind. 

'When you're in America... behave well. We Malays should not go round looking for trouble in other people's country. Mind the Malay cultures and customs.' Haji Imran's voice echoed in Hilman's ears. Hilman sipped his coffee to moist his throat.

'Remember, Iman. We are of Malay blood,' Haji Imran reminded again.

"Yes... I am of Malay blood."

"I beg your pardon, sir?"

An Indian waiter greeted Hilman. He smiled. Courteously to the customers, especially tourists.