40

NEW YORK HOSPITAL

14 October 2000 - 11.17 a.m.

THE lift door opened wide. Hilman stepped out. His action was calm and deliberate. Nobody there recognized him. Even the nurses who used to care for him didn't recognize him. They bumped into each other at the lift door. But, the nurses didn't realize that they had bumped into Hilman who, the day before, had escaped from NYPD custody. 

Hilman was clever in his disguise. He put on shoulder-length false hair tied in pigtails. He put on a false mustache and beard to hide his real face. His eyes were hidden behind a pair of branded dark glasses. All of those he bought in Chinatown with money borrowed from Daljit. Daljit, who didn't know about Hilman's plans, loaned USD 200 without questions. 

Hilman's feet stopped before the door to a VIP ward. He put an ear to the door. He only heard Nor Alia's voice talking to someone, but she wasn't talking to Datuk Harun or Datin Rubiah.

"Jeslina?" Hilman whispered. 

Without hesitation, Hilman turned the knob and pushed the door open. Nor Alia and Jeslina looked surprised when they saw a stranger entering the ward. 

"Yes?" Nor Alia, who was sitting on the bed edge, asked. 

"Eh! Dad!" After a close watch, Jeslina finally saw through her father's disguise. 

"Jes!" Hilman rushed towards Jeslina.

"Hilman?" Nor Alia was dumbfounded. 

"All praises to God Almighty!" 

Hilman embraced Jeslina. He kissed her on the forehead repeatedly. 

"I never stopped praying. And God has answered my prayers, Jes." Hilman was filled with grief. 

"Hilman... err..." Nor Alia interrupted. 

Hilman turned. 

"Err... what can I do to help?" Nor Alia found it difficult to remind Hilman of his fugitive status.

"I need my passport and some money," Hilman said. 

"Where did you keep your passport?" Nor Alia asked. 

"In my bag," Hilman replied briefly. 

Nor Alia nodded and grabbed her handbag. She took out USD 1000 and handed it to Hilman. 

"Call me if you need more." That was all she could give for now. 

Hilman was slow to take the money. He nodded slowly. 

"Thanks, Alia," he said later. 

"Are you leaving me behind, dad?" Jeslina asked. 

Hilman shook his head. 

"No... I'm not leaving you, darling," Hilman said wiping a tear from Jeslina's cheek.

"Jes, your father is in a bit of trouble." Nor Alia interrupted. 

"Why?" Jeslina asked. 

"Do you remember the accident that night?"

Jeslina nodded. 

"They accused me of causing that accident to happen while driving under the influence of alcohol," Hilman told his daughter. 

"Lies!" Jeslina protested. "Auntie... dad wasn't drunk that night," Jeslina said, earnestly defending her father. 

Nor Alia nodded repeatedly to say that she agreed with Jeslina. 

"Jes... can you remember... who crashed into our car that night?" Hilman asked.