27

ARLINGTON, WASHINGTON D.C.

8 October 2000 - 3.00 a.m.

MIA SARA woke up with a huff. Lines appeared on her sweaty face. The cold weather did nothing to cool her body temperature.

She had a dream. A nightmare that seemed so real. She turned to the wall and looked at Hilman's photo she had printed earlier from her computer. She took her time staring at the colored photo.

"Hilman..." Mia Sara sighed as she regained her composure from a disturbing nightmare that had intruded her sleep.

Mia Sara rose from the bed and walked to the bathroom. She rinsed her face. Wiped it with a towel that hung by the stainless steel bar. Seconds later she made her way to the kitchen. Made herself a cup of coffee. 

She sipped the coffee before returning to the bathroom. Her mind wandered as she tried to interpret the dream she had earlier. She dreamt of Hilman. The man appeared in her dream soaked with blood. She stood near to him with arms stretched out to him, offering her help. But, she never made it as she woke up, startled. In her dream, she could see clearly the agony on Hilman's face.

Mia Sara took a long breath. She walked back to the bedroom.

She put the coffee cup beside the computer on the side table by the bed. Her eyes returned to where Hilman's photo was. 

"What exactly happened to him? Is he in trouble?" Mia Sara sighed again. "But, aren't dreams just playthings for those who sleep?" She comforted herself. 

She took another sip from the coffee cup before laying herself on the bed. 

***********************************************************************************************

SUBANG JAYA, SELANGOR, MALAYSIA

8 October 2000 - 3.10 p.m.

A metallic silver Mercedes Benz S320 slipped into the compound of a bungalow house. Datuk Harun stepped out from the car holding a black briefcase and quickly disappeared into the house.

Datin Rubiah, who was doing her knitwork, was surprised to see her husband back so soon. She would usually expect him home at around six in the evening. 

Datuk Harun looked serious. He kept on grumbling to himself. His behavior kept Datin Rubiah from interfering. All she could do was to offer a conciliatory smile hoping that it could calm her husband's anger. 

"Rubi... pack your clothes. We're going to New York this very evening," Datuk Harun said. 

Datin Rubiah was flabbergasted. She put down the lace she had been knitting and followed her husband up the stairs. 

"New York? Are we going on a tour?" she asked. 

"No!" 

Datuk Harun undid his buttons. He would shower before going out. Let his burning heart freeze. 

Datin Rubiah opened the cabinet and handed a towel to her husband. She was still waiting for an answer. She could sense that something bad had happened that had her husband mad. Something that made him came home early and decided to go to New York immediately.

"You pack what's necessary. Our flight is at 7.30 tonight," Datuk Harun raised his voice.

"But why so hurry? Just the other day when I wanted to go to New York you said you had too many work to do. But today... suddenly..." Datin Rubiah grumbled.

"Hilman is in New York now. I'm worried about our granddaughter. Alright, that's enough! Start packing. We're going straight to the airport soon as I finished my shower," Datuk Harun disappeared into the bathroom.