54

ST. VINCENT'S HOSPITAL & MEDICAL CENTER, NEW YORK

17 October 2000 - 1.45 a.m.

MIA SARA found it hard to sleep. Hilman's visit at around 10.30 p.m. earlier that night weighed on her mind. Her worries grew when she could not persuade Hilman to abandon his intention to kill President Jack William. Her troubled mind was like a spool of cotton threads tied in knots. Untangled and messy. Added by the fact that she had revealed her true feelings to the man. She really loved him. 

What should be done? No solutions came to her mind. She was really afraid. Afraid of losing Hilman. If Hilman was fated to 'die', then her love and fondness for the man would be buried along with him. 

No! Mia Sara bit her lips. But... what could she do?

There was only one way to stop Hilman. Make a police report and let them stop Hilman. But... what then? Hilman would be arrested and sentenced severely. Maybe he would be sentenced to death and had to end his life in an electric chair. Ah! No! Hilman had to die, at last. 

Mia Sara let her mind wander far. After a long thought, she decided to call Gabriel. Her hand instinctively went for the drawer and took her cell phone out. 

Her index finger ran through the numbers. Then she put the receiver close to her ears. The ringing tone went on for some time. Moments later, Gabriel's raspy voice came over the speaker. 

"Gabriel... Mia Sara," Mia Sara said. 

"Sara?" Gabriel cleared his throat. "Hmm... what's up?" 

"Hilman came to see me last night," Mia Sara said. 

"I know," Gabriel said, clearing his throat again. 

"You know?" Mia Sara was surprised. 

"Daljit and I bumped into him outside the hospital."

"You saw Hilman and you didn't stop him?" Mia Sara half shouted. 

"Calm down, Sara, calm down," Gabriel said.

"How can I be calmed when I know that Hilman will 'die'?" Mia Sara said. There was sadness in her voice. Now and then the wound in her thigh would throb.

Gabriel's deep sigh was heard over the phone. "I'm so sorry, Sara," he then said. "Hilman is not easily persuaded. He's really desperate, Sara," Gabriel continued. 

"Oh, God," Mia Sara cried. Just a sob. 

"I'm sorry, Sara. I didn't mean to upset you," Gabriel soothed her. 

"It's okay. It's gonna be okay." Mia Sara's voice trailed off. 

Mia Sara set her cell phone down on the table. Oh, God! She cried.