Chapter 64

Leona put herself into position as the violin instrumental started. Ricardo held onto her as she slowly stretched into an elegant split. Ricardo stood back up as Leona did a subtle body roll to the notes of the orchestra track, and the duo slowly twirled, Leona's leg kicking outwards, making a circle. Once they faced the audience again, Leona spun before her, and Ricardo's arms extended, creating a beautiful moment while the music was still slow. Now that Leona was in front of Ricardo, as the violin went a few notes up, Leona was lifted and held there for just a second. Then as the drums came in, Ricardo dropped her. And Leona, who always had a flair for the dramatics, fell into a middle split and slid up as the music got faster.

    Leona jumped. "That was it! That was it!"

    Ricardo let out a victorious whoop.

    Shel always loved watching these stages of the dance. Getting that big moment timed correctly before even starting the more challenging stuff was the most significant victory.

    But mostly, Shel just loved watching a tango. However, there were more tricks to come that involved being lifted from the front, Leona's legs wrapping around Ricardo's waist, Ricardo letting go of Leona so that she could turn herself around, then ending on the left side, one leg on the ground, the other wrapped around Ricardo's knee.

    It was complicated and stress-inducing. Shel had dealt with enough stress for the day. So, she grabbed the keys to a smaller room within the studio.

    The musical was soon. In fact, the first sing-through was tomorrow, marking the start of daily rehearsals that required the entire cast and crew. And Shel wasn't really the best at Flowers just yet. A shame since it was her solo. Every other song was a duet or ensemble piece.

    Despite how simple the song looked on paper, Flowers wasn't a song for showing off your belting ability. That was what Chant and Wait For Me Reprise were for. And she also needed to work on the latter. But Flowers was all about emotion. It was about getting that strain during the riff, sending chills through the simplicity of just how quiet Shel's voice would sound.

    It would be difficult. Shel knew how to mix and belt like a fucking champion. But, she could also cry on command, which will prove useful later.

    Right now, Shel brushed her hands over the electric piano and struck a B major. She knew how to accompany the song well enough.

    She started off strong, rooted in her chest before going up into an airy mix at I trembled and forced a flip at as he laid me out. Then made sure to get back into her chest voice during the first riff. Then at the second, she started it booming, a spectacular mixy belt, and flipped it into her head voice and kept it there. Even as her instinct told her to go back to a potent mix.

    Then she started playing with a push and pull. "Dreams are sweet," she sang, a silky vibrato coming in at the first and last words, the second too quiet. In a traditional push and pull, the final phrase would be loud. "Until they're not." It was barely whispered. She repeated the second phrase: "Men are kind until they aren't."

    Then she sang, "Flowers bloom until the rot and fall apart." She made sure to belt and even swallowed the sound to make it sound more profound and resonant.

    It took her a long time to fully master that section, not even including the "Nothing... nothing gonna wake me now." Which was meant to be sung in tears.

    Shel would get there, but it was almost 5. She had to go home and feed her needy cat.

-

Drew was a bitch. That was the only possible conclusion Piper could make as Drew woke her up 45 motherfucking minutes before her alarm went off.