Chapter 46-Asking

Leona's POV
Freya had started going on new antidepressants and Christmas was nearing. I'd been considering inviting her to join me and my parents to celebrate as she had no plans. Her roommate was out of town until the beginning of January so otherwise, she would be alone. And I wanted her there. My parents said they would be delighted if she came. 'The more the merrier', they had told me.

However, I was afraid she would reject my offer, that celebrating with us would be too much. Especially since she'd never actually had a good Christmas. I planned to make this one to remember. But I had failed to realize how difficult that would be. Perhaps I'd overestimated myself. Despite their great enthusiasm, I knew my parents were struggling. As was I.

Layla wasn't here to spend the holidays with us. Thanksgiving felt empty this year, but Christmas would be even harder. It was her favorite holiday. Spending it without her felt wrong, like I was breaking a promise. Yet I knew she would personally slap me if I spent it sulking. And I refused to disappoint her, even from the grave.

I knocked on Freya's door. She had no shifts today and neither did I. When I heard the door creak open, I took a deep breath and prepared myself for rejection. However it wasn't Freya who opened the door, it was Cyra. I was taken aback for a second, having anticipated she would be out of town by now. Apparently, I was wrong.

"Oh, Cyra. Sorry I look so startled. I thought you would out of town," I explained to her.

She offered me a smile and nodded to the suitcase behind her. "I'm leaving now actually."

"Right, well, have a nice trip then."

"Thank you," she beckoned me in as she adjusted her hijab. "Freya is taking a shower, I believe."

I thanked her and watched her leave before heading into Freya's room. Assuming she wouldn't mind if I waited on her bed until she was done showering. I scrolled on my phone while waiting. When I heard her turn off the shower faucet I straightened up.

The door was soon unlocked and out came Freya, only wearing a towel. She jumped upon seeing me casually sitting on her bed, instinctively gripping her towel and shoulders stiffening. After noticing it was me, she visibly relaxed.

"Oh, it's just you. Don't scare me like that."

I gave her an apologetic glance. "Sorry."

"It's okay."

She strode over and sat down next to me. Her hair was still soaking wet and droplets of water could be spotted everywhere. Apparently, I wasn't so subtle when I checked her out, because she gave me a knowing smirk. She leaned down to give me a chaste kiss on the cheek. I gripped the back of her neck and allowed our lips to connect. She hummed softly in content but pulled back shortly to get dressed. I groaned at the loss of contact but let her get dressed.

"Close your eyes."

I did as she requested and heard her drop the towel before shuffling around her closet for some clothes. By the jumping, I assumed she was trying to put on some tight jeans. She pulled on a t-shirt and told me I could open my eyes. As I predicted, she was wearing a pair of tight jeans, ripped ones, and a plain grey t-shirt.

After getting dressed she opened the blinds and let sunlight, well as much sunlight as you could get in the winter, into the room. Freya sat down next to me again and rested her head on my shoulder. My hand found its way to her hair and I ran my finger through her wet hair.

This is the perfect time to ask her.

"Hey, Freya?"