Chapter 52-Birthday

Leona's POV
I'd grown to hate my birthday ever since Layla grew sick a few years back.  It had been a constant reminder that although I had a life ahead of me, my sister was simply getting worse and worse. Celebrating our birthday felt selfish, because what was there really to celebrate?

Now that she'd passed, it was practically useless to even acknowledge it. Since my birthday was in early February, last year it'd had barely been a month since she died when our birthday came up. If it wasn't for the 'happy birthdays' thrown my way I would have forgotten, no doubt. So to me, the logical option was to drown myself in homework and drinking until I did forget. Rather than solving my problems I ended up with a major hangover and needing to go to school the next day.

College was long over and I'd started my path to becoming a real estate agent at the beginning of this year. However, so far I hadn't had much luck. I was stuck battling shifts and trying to follow my dreams.

It turned out work wasn't enough of a distraction to help me forget about my birthday this year. What I had done was turn off my phone, I couldn't handle the happy birthday's. Fuck happy, it was a miserable birthday.

However, Freya had kept me from being as miserable as I'd like to be on a day like this. She surprised me during my break with a cupcake. I was grateful she didn't do anything big but I'd rather have her ignore my birthday completely.

"Happy birthday," she greeted me and handed me the cupcake. "I know your birthday is hard for you but I don't want you to be miserable."

"Thank you. I'd rather forget it, honestly. It's a reminder she's gone and I don't think it'll ever be the same. And it's just a birthday, after all, wow I'm one year closer to death, how lovely."

"Pessimistic of you. It's a celebration of life," she argued.

I huffed. "The life she didn't get to live."

Freya's smile dropped. Perhaps I was acting rude but it wasn't an easy day. Especially not when people acted like I had to be happy because it was my birthday. I was twenty-three, my twin hadn't even made it to twenty-two. That was anything but special to me when it was supposed to be her birthday too and she wasn't here to celebrate it.

"I'm sorry. I'll ignore it if you truly want me to, but at least let me take you out on a date. Pretty please? It doesn't have to be for your birthday, just see it as a date because your girlfriend misses you."

I couldn't say no to that offer. "Fine. I love you but I gotta get back to work."

"Okay, I love you. See you later, I'll pick you up after work and we can go on our date, does that sound okay?"

Giving her a kiss, I said, "sounds lovely. But sadly I gotta go now."

***

The rest of the day up until work ended was a hazy blur. I served some customers and remained quiet unless I had to serve someone. One thing I did remember was getting yelled at. Apparently, I'd given a man the wrong order which upset him greatly. I offered to remake it but he just stormed out, claiming I'd ruined his day. Dramatic, I remember thinking to myself.

I was happy I didn't have the closing shift today. I was too exhausted to close up. Before leaving I took off my apron and said goodbye to the people who were still working.

As promised, Freya was waiting for me outside the diner. She wore a bright smile as I approached her and kissed her. The butterflies in my stomach going crazy like they always did when she was around.

She opened the door for me, beckoning me in like I was some sort of celebrity. I laughed at her formality and stepped into the car. She closed the door when I was seated and walked to the other side to sit in the driver's seat.