Chapter 41 - Get well soon

"Vikram sir, is it true that Shubha ma'am was bitten by a snake?" asked a reporter.

"Was it because of production team's carelessness?" asked another reporter.

"Is her life in danger?"

"Why did you choose such a dangerous location?"

Vikram, who could easily handle the media, was unable to answer the questions. He felt his heart racing. He almost took the mic to answer that it was all his fault when Chris snatched it from him. "Shubha garu is fine. Yes. It is true that she was bitten by a snake. But she will be fine in a few days. And Vikram didn't choose that location. He didn't even know that it was dangerous. At present we shouldn't look for someone to blame. What matters is that she is alive. Let's pray for her recovery."

The reporters were about to ask few more questions but Chris waved at them and led Vikram out of the hall.

"I know what you are feeling, Vicky boy. This is not the time to weep. Be strong. Shubha needs you. She has always been there for us. Now it is our turn to take care of her. Don't let your grief show on your face. For her sake." Chris advised him.

Vikram nodded. He went home to see Latha, Shubha and Sandhya in the living room, waiting for him. He remembered Chris's words and pretended to be fine. "What is it? Why are you ladies staring at me like that? It's scary. Stop it." He hid behind a pillar.

"Stop over acting" said Latha.

"I think that's how he won three best actor awards. By over doing everything" said Shubha.

"Whoa! You both are experts in roasting people. I miss those days when mothers-in-law hated their daughters-in-law and vice versa" said Vikram.

"Vicky. Did you seriously say vice versa?" asked Sandhya.

"Side effects of being a scientist's fiance." He grinned.

They shared a good laugh before starting the discussion. "Vikram, I want you to continue your treatment with the therapist." Shubha suggested.

"I am fine."

"If she is not good enough we will consult someone else." Latha offered.

"No. She is good. Only I don't feel like visiting her clinic again and again." He felt uncomfortable.

"You need to get this cured before the situation goes out of control. I observed that you have distanced yourself from us in the past three days. You are a role model to the twins, Vikram. You are our hero. We want you to be that way, always. Don't drown yourself in guilt. Please. Get well soon." Shubha was almost in tears when she spoke.

He didn't say anything for some time. He sat down, thinking. What she said was true. He needed counselling. If the doctor could help him reduce his pain, what more could he ask for? He said yes.

---***---

"These are her medicines. This one should be given before lunch. And these two after lunch" Vikram instructed Rukhsar.

"Okay" Rukhsar nodded.

"She will ask to be taken to the park. Don't take her anywhere. Let her sleep." He looked at Shubha, who pretended to be engrossed in a book. She was at Rukhsar's house. She already planned to go out as soon as Vikram left.

"And you. Listen. Don't watch TV and strain yourself. Keep reading the book. Call me if you need something. I will be back by evening." He gave a hundred more instructions before leaving to see the doctor.

"Rukhsar, come let's go to the park" said Shubha.

"That's exactly what he told you not to do."