Chapter 16 - A worried best friend

"Vicky. There's nothing to worry about. It's not life threatening." Bhaskar spoke to his son.

"Stop talking and sleep dad." Vikram covered his father with a blanket. He was admitted in a hospital.

"I feel bored. Unlike you, I sleep for only seven hours." Bhaskar chuckled. "I don't understand how you manage to sleep for so long."

"Because unlike you, I sleep peacefully. I don't let anything disturb my sleep." Vikram answered. "In fact I will never have to worry about anything. I have got you."

"Lazy boy." His father smacked his head. "Call your mother. I have to say something."

"You started missing her so soon?" Vikram teased him.

Bhaskar felt guilty. His wife refused to leave his bedside ever since he was admitted there. It was only after the doctor said he won't allow her because she needs rest, that she left for home. "You won't understand. I love her."

"I feel jealous." Vikram complained. Latha arrived at the moment.

"Latha, tell your son that I love him more." Bhaskar smiled at them.

"Sleep now." Latha caressed his face.

Vikram looked at his father sleeping peacefully, unaware that he would never wake up again.

---***---

"Subbu! Can you hear me?" Vikram panicked. His hands started shivering. 

He checked her pulse. He had tears in his eyes. He rubbed her palms which were ice cold. He grabbed a bottle and splashed water on her face. "SUBBU! LOOK AT ME! NO! DON'T GO AWAY."

The memories of his father's ice cold body flashed in front of his eyes.He was sobbing, when she opened her eyes. "It's your tears? I thought it was raining." She said in a barely audible whisper.

For a moment he thought he imagined it. It was only when he saw her eyes wide open that he breathed again. "Thank God you are alright." He cupped her face.

"Of course I am alright. Why are you weeping? Did you think I am dead?" Her voice sounded weak.

"Shut up!" He yelled.

"Have mercy on my ears. Stop yelling." She tried to sit up. She almost collapsed again when she felt Vikram support her.

"I'm here. I got you." He held her hand very tightly. "What should I do now?" He wished there was someone else in the room to help him.

"Maybe offer some water to the patient so that she doesn't faint again" said Shubha.

"Okay. Okay. I am sorry." He made her sit on the couch and went to get a water bottle. He started talking to stop panicking. "You know what Subbu? I never saw someone look so pretty when they faint. Specially your eyelashes. They are so beautiful."

"Are you serious? That's what you noticed when I fainted?"

"Here. Drink this." He helped her drink some water. After making sure that she was stable, he served soup in a bowl. "What did you have for breakfast?"

"Er, I..." She hesitated.

"You didn't eat anything?" He sounded angry.

"I'll eat now."

"Let me take you to hospital first."

"I don't want to go anywhere. I want to sleep."

"Don't argue. Finish the soup." He called Naresh. "Get some biscuits and juice. Meet me in the groud floor in ten minutes. We have to take Shubha madam to hospital."