Chapter 4 - Science of Deduction

"What are you saying Nisha? Is this a joke? If it is, then let me tell you, it's a very bad joke." Vikram finally found his voice.

"Vicky, you have to understand. It won't work out." Nisha tried to speak without hurting him.

"Why do you think so? Dad directed one-third of the film. I just have to copy his style and finish the remaining."

"That's my point. Do you think you are capable of directing this? You are a beginner. Had it been a love story or family drama you could have managed it. Sadly our film requires an experienced director. It pains me to say this. But you are not yet ready to direct a film like this." She explained.

He was counting on her. He never thought she would refuse to help him. "It seems you know what I am capable of, better than me."

"Could you please leave us alone for a moment?" Nisha asked Shubha.

Shubha nodded. Vikram stopped her. "She stays."

"But Vicky--"

"She is my friend. She stays." Vikram made Shubha sit beside him. 'How do I get myself into these situations?' She felt uncomfortable witnessing their argument.

"Fine. Vicky, think practically. You are ruining your career. This is madness. We are friends. I can't see you do this to yourself. I have come to convince you to stop this. I have a new script. It's an action thriller. If you agree, let's meet the director tomorrow for narration. It's a safe bet" said Nisha. 

Vikram looked at her with anger written on his face. He took a deep breath to calm down. "Is this your final decision? I am asking you for the last time."

"Try to understand--"

"Say yes or no."

"Yes." 

"Okay. Thank you. I respect your decision." He called his maid and asked her to serve refreshments to Nisha.

"No. I'll leave." She stood up and walked towards the door. She turned around. "Think about what I told you."

"No need to think about it. I assumed the mantle from the director. This is my film. I am the Captain of the ship. If the ship sinks I choose to go down with it. Unlike you, I will never abandon it." He spoke emotionally.

Nisha lowered her head and left. 

---***---

"Shubha, my manager says that area is not safe for women. Don't pay the advance." Latha advised Shubha. 

"Aunty, it's a temporary arrangement. I will stay there only for few months."

"I don't understand why you are determined to leave. Is this house not comfortable?" Latha asked in a grave tone.

"No. Nothing like that. I don't want to be a burden--"

"Did I say so? You are not a burden. I will ask my manager to find you a comfortable place. Don't take any decision in haste." 

Shubha nodded and left for her room. Vikram was sitting in a corner. Latha went and sat next to him.

"Mom, let her go. Why do you worry about her? She is not a kid."

"She is our responsibility. We need to make sure that she is safe. Her father helped your dad several times in the past." Latha caressed his face. "I know what's bothering you. Nisha is not the only actress in the industry. Let's search for a replacement. How about that girl who acted in Chris's previous film?"

"No mom. I don't want an established actress. I want a fresh face. I will ask the casting director to prepare for auditions. They will look for someone who can perform stunts and act well at the same time."