Chapter 36 - The choice

"What! Demolish gym? You mean remove the equipment?" asked Latha.

"Er, yes. I want to set up a lab for your daughter-in-law" said Vikram.

"So considerate since now itself? I'm impressed." Latha smiled at him. "But how do we know what equipment is needed for the lab?'

"I have someone who will help."

"Who?"

"My biggest fan." He grinned and made a call. "Hello Rukhsar."

---***---

"I can't wait for the shooting to start" said Shubha.

"Me too. Back then I was given a bunch of idiots. Now I have stars" said Vikram. Shubha hit him on the shoulder playfully.

"Come home this evening. I have a surprise for you." He said. She looked at him questioningly. He didn't give any details.

The shooting started. It continued till evening. Shubha went to his home. She was surprised to see her best friend there. "Is she the surprise? I see her everyday."

"No. You idiot. Go and check his gym once" said Rukhsar. She did as told. She returned after few minutes with disbelief written on her face.

"Like it?" asked Latha.

"Love it." She embraced Latha. "Thank you aunty."

"You should thank him." Latha pointed at her son.

"Can I also get a hug?" He whispered in her ear, earning a glare.

After sometime, Chris, Dhwani and Naveen arrived. They were amazed by the equipment in the lab. When Shubha showed them a sample of work done in the lab, they clapped their hands with glee.

After dinner, they sat down playing truth or dare. It was Chris's turn. He chose truth. "When did you first realize that you have fallen in love?" asked Shubha.

"When she went missing for 10 minutes in Paris. It felt like, I mean, I felt as if something very precious is being taken away from me." He wrapped his arms around his wife.

The girls clapped while the boys whistled. It was Rukhsar's turn. "Vicky or Naveen?" asked Chris.

"Vikram garu" she answered making Vikram give a smug look to Naveen. He didn't seem to mind.

Finally it was Vikram's turn. "Confess your love in her style" said Naveen.

Vikram thought for a while. He cleared his throat and spoke. "When I met you for the first time my heart started leaping like a sine wave. My brain functioned at a speed of 180 miles per second. My soul wanted a bond with yours. Not an ionic bond where one gives electron and the other takes. A covalent bond where we both share electrons and co-exist. Will you accept my love?" Vikram asked making everyone laugh.

It was Shubha's turn to answer. "You are the VFX to my green screen. You are the BGM to my introduction scene." She made everyone roll on the floor laughing.

"Made for each other."Rukhsar remarked.

It was Naveen's turn. "Who's your first love?" asked Dhwani.

"Love is for kids like you. I don't love anyone. I am forever single." He answered. Rukhsar's grin vanished.

---***---

Vikram received a call from award function organizers.

"Sir, congrats. Your film received 4 awards. Best Vfx. Best actor for Chris. Best picture and best director."

"Wait. What about best debut? Didn't Shubha Narayan win ?" He was sure there was a mistake.

"Ideally she should win. But we can't give all awards to one film. Only four per film" said the organizers.

He was outraged. Yet he maintained his calm. "I will call you and let you know what I think about it."

He was in dilemma. He had to choose between his best friend and his girlfriend. Both Shubha and Chris deserved the awards. Chris needed the award.

He considered telling them to not present him anything and give his actors awards for their performances. But then he remembered his father. His duty as a son was to give his father the last award he deserved.

Though he directed two thirds of the film, he had registered his father's name as the director. 'Subbu has to wait.' He thought.

Just then he saw Shubha, walk inside with her luggage. "Why are you staring at me?"

"You're back?" He couldn't believe his eyes.

"I can leave if you want." She said chuckling.

"No. Please. Don't ever talk about leaving." He took her luggage and went towards her room. She followed him.

"Now that I have a lab here I thought of returning. I will work during my free time." She said. "I can't tell you how happy I am. You always think about me more than what I plan for myself. Thank you."

Her words made him feel guilty. He knew she didn't care about awards and stuff. Yet he felt bad. He felt as if he betrayed her by choosing Chris.

He walked out of her room and went to his. He saw his mother waiting for him. "Vicky. I made this cake for you." She fed him with her hands.

"Mom. I am unable to decide." He said.

"Let me guess. About the awards?" She asked him.

"How do you know?" He was surprised.

"I am the producer." She answered. "What did you decide?"

"Chris needs this award mom. Shubha has to sacrifice for him."

"What happened to my son who always puts others above himself?" She caressed his face.

"Dad should receive his last award mom. That's the least we can do for him..." He couldn't speak further.

"Your father is gone. It doesn't matter to him if he wins or loses." She said.

"But --"

"He will be happy to see talent being recognized." She said teary eyed.

"You are right mom." He took his phone and called the organizers.

---***---

"Latha aunty. Vikram. I got my first award. I received a call just now." Shubha was excited.

"Didn't I tell you? You will definitely receive an award." Vikram said, smiling.

---***---