Chapter 31 - Fool me once...

Me: I can explain.

Readers : *rolling eyes* We won't listen.

Me: It was a joke.

Readers: Pathetic joke!

Me: This is my very own 'December Fool' moment like Amar from our story, 'The Friendzoned Husband'.

Readers: Okay. You are forgiven because you mentioned our favourite, Amar.

Me: *grins shamelessly*

---***---

"Where are you Shubha? Naveen says you went with your uncle. Is it true?" asked Pragathi.

"Did Vikram ask you to call me because I am not picking up his call?" asked Shubha.

Pragathi was annoyed. "I don't need someone telling me to call you. I am your friend. I don't understand this newfound hatred for Vicky. He is in pain. Can't you feel it?"

"Do you even know what he said?"

"I don't know what he said. Even if I knew I don't care. He is not able to think properly. He lost his father recently. His mother is ill. He might have said some rubbish out of frustration."

"He asked me to leave. I pleaded with him to let me stay. But he asked me to go home. What else could I have done?" Shubha raised her voice.

"I don't know. Maybe you could have gone back home rather than returning to your evil uncle's house. Get out of that place right now."

"I can't. I have a meeting scheduled with Dr. Gupta this evening. My uncle will tell him that I wasn't wrong. That will clear my name. I have to stay here" said Shubha.

"Are you mad? Your uncle offered this? Is there any point in telling you that he is doing this for his personal gain? Don't trust him." Pragathi warned her.

"He has been searching for me since the day I left. He is willing to give me another chance. I need it very badly right now." Shubha said loudly and clearly.

"Do whatever you want. Remember. He will betray you again. Don't come back crying." Pragathi ended the call angrily.

"Who is it child?" asked Ramesh.

"My friend. Pragathi." Shubha answered. "She reckons I shouldn't have come here."

"What did you say?"

"I told her I'm where I'm supposed to be. With my family."

"Good. Now listen carefully. When we meet Dr. Gupta this evening, I will tell him that it was a small misunderstanding which should have been kept within the family. It was a mistake that we dragged it to the lab." Ramesh suggested.

"And what after that?"

"After that he will ask you if you still wish to work with me. You say yes."