Chapter 8 - The first narration

This part has the story of the film they are making. A story within a story. Tell me if you liked it after reading it. 

---***---

"Why are you so obsessed with renting a house?" asked Vikram.

"Because I am not a freeloader." Shubha answered. "Staying here for so long doesn't feel right. Now that I have a job and I am being paid such a huge amount of money, I think I should find a place quickly."

"Shubha, listen to me. Considering the situation at your research lab, I don't think you living alone will be a good idea. Stay here for a few more months" said Latha. 

"What situation?" Vikram was confused.

"That's right. But..."

"I understand your problem. If you don't want to live here for free of cost, then pay rent. You will be our paying guest." Latha suggested.

"That would be great" said Shubha. "How much should I pay?"

"Ten thousand per month." Latha announced. The money didn't matter to her. She was worried Shubha's uncle might try to harm her or scare her because of the enquiry at her lab. She wanted to keep her safe.

"Okay. Now let's sit at a quiet place for narration." Vikram was excited. It was his first narration as a director after all. But he wasn't going to tell her that. They sat in the library. He struggled a bit, searching for the file in his laptop, before finding it. 

"You didn't narrate the story to your web series actors. Right?" asked Shubha. "This is your first story narration."

"How do you know?"

"Science of deduction. If you had done it before, then the files in your laptop will be more organized."

"I'm impressed." He made a mental note to maintain things properly. "So, let's start. This story is not mine."

"You mean you copied it?" She asked. 

"What? No. I mean, I didn't write the story. We got the rights from the owner."

She giggled at the look on his face. "Relax. I was just kidding."

"Okay. Do you know famous Telugu novelist Prakash garu?"

"Yes. It's his story? Which novel is it?"

"It hasn't been published. He has written this as a gift for his children. When dad asked him to give it to him, he readily agreed. It's a trilogy" said Vikram.

"Trilogy? Like The Lord of the Rings?" Shubha immediately started dividing 50 lakhs into three parts.

"But we won't be making three films. We condensed the story to two films."

"Like Avengers: Infinity War? Wow." She wondered if she would receive 25 lakhs for each part or 50 lakhs were for the first part alone. 

"Yes. But it's Indian. Indian medieval period adventure story." Vikram explained.

"Like Patala Bhairavi? Great. Start the story please." She was excited. She liked historical fictions very much.

"The story is set in the seventeenth century. To be precise mid 1600s. The story starts with your brother being banished by your aunt from the kingdom few days after your father's death, framing him for a crime. She doesn't want competition for her son." Vikram started the story. 

It reminded Shubha of her uncle's betrayal. "Quite relatable." She remarked.

"Your uncle trusts his wife and banishes your brother. Your brother tries to convince you to come with him. But you refuse to leave the comforts of palace."