Chapter 40 - Postponement of engagement

"You brought this on her!" Rukhsar yelled at Vikram.

"Rukhsar garu, please don't." Chris tried to intervene. 

She was in no mood to listen. "You took her to that stupid location for shooting. She didn't even want to be an actress in the first place. You made her switch careers. Look what you have done!"

"Rukhsar garu, it's a non-poisonous snake." Dhwani tried to explain.

"What if it had been poisonous? What if she died?"

"No. Don't say that." Vikram was in tears. He knew Rukhsar was right. It was all his fault. He blamed himself. He failed in protecting her. 

Pragathi took Rukhsar away from Vikram and brought her a glass of water. Vikram sat down, cursing his fate. He was supposed to get engaged to her in five days. Now it won't happen. The doctor said she was so scared that, had they delayed bringing her to the hospital she would have died.

He saw everyone consoling Rukhsar. After some time, she walked up to him and apologized. "I'm sorry. It's not your fault. It was an accident."

"No. You are right. I brought this on her. I am responsible for everything. I don't deserve to be spoken to politely. I deserve to be punished." Vikram wept. He slapped himself.

Latha embraced her son. "She will regain consciousness soon."

But nothing could bring him solace. He felt miserable. As if he would never be cheerful again. He remembered how he blamed Shubha when Latha was ill. He now understood how badly it hurt to be held responsible. What hurt him more was the fact that he could have avoided it. Yet he chose that stupid location to save time. 'I am an irresponsible man. I can never protect my loved ones. I always hurt them. Dad died in his sleep while I was watching. Mom fell ill because of me. Shubha almost died because of me. I have only brought them more problems.' He started hating himself.

Naveen stood in a corner, silently. Shubha was the only family he had after his mother's death. He shuddered to think what would have happened if the snake was poisonous.

"She is conscious now. You may go and meet her" The doctor told them.

Everyone except Vikram went inside. He refused to meet her. The first question she asked was, "Where is Vikram?" 

"He's waiting for us to go out." Latha lied. "He will talk to you in private after we leave."

"Naveen, please don't let him stay alone. He becomes unpredictable when he is sad. Be with him. Don't let him do anything stupid." Shubha instructed Naveen.

"As you say madam." Naveen bowed to her.

"Idiot! You scared us" said Rukhsar, trying to blink away tears.

"Are you really crying for me?" Shubha was surprised.

"No. My eyes are sweating" said Rukhsar, making her chuckle.

After everyone spoke with her, she was desperate to meet Vikram. "Call him inside." She asked Latha.

"He is feeling shy" said Chris.

"This is not his wedding. Tell him I order him to come inside." Shubha said seriously.

They couldn't make any excuses. Dhwani dragged him inside. They left them alone, to give them some privacy.

"Why did you not want to meet me?" She asked weakly.

"You should sleep." He tried to make her lie down.

"No. Tell me. Something's bothering you. Am I going to die?" She asked him.

"I'll kill you if you say that again." He said sternly.