Chapter 21 - Dreams

"Thank God. Someone's finally back from their ego trip." Vikram entered the house and closed the door. He winked at Shubha.

Rukhsar dropped the glass of water. "Oh my God! Vikram Varma?"

"Yes"

"Vikram Varma is in my house."

"Yes"

"Vikram Varma is talking to me."

"Yes"

"Vikram Varma winked at my friend."

"No. I just blinked."

Shubha turned her laugh into cough with great difficulty. It didn't go unnoticed by Vikram. He ignored it. "This good-natured lady must be Rukhsar." He smiled at her. "Nice to meet you ma'am."

"You are my favourite actor. I am your biggest fan." Rukhsar couldn't believe that her favourite star was in her house.

"Stop it Rukhsar. He is a human being. Not some Demigod." Shubha remarked.

"Ignore her Rukhsar garu. Haters gonna hate. You have a very good taste. Would you like a selfie?" 

"What's that supposed to mean? My taste is bad?" asked Shubha. 

Vikram ignored her again and took a picture with her friend. "I made a simple statement Shubha garu. You may assume whatever you want." He sat down facing her and gave her the intense gaze he reserved for her.

She looked away. "You are so mean. You are talking about my ego trip? You live on a planet named Ego."

"Don't fight again" said Rukhsar.

"But he said my career as a scientist is over."

"Isn't that what you said this afternoon? You said there is no hope and the report will be against you." Rukhsar reminded her.

"Yes. I remember what I said. I know I can never be a scientist again. But hearing it from others hurts more. Why did he have to say that?" Shubha looked like she would burst into tears.

Vikram avoided all pretense and moved closer to her. "Subbu." He held her hand and squeezed it.

"Wait a minute. How did you know that my uncle is involved?" She demanded explanation.

"Well, I wanted to know what's bothering you. I wanted to fix it if I can. I asked Naresh to find out. After hearing your story, I realized that I can't help you prove your innocence. That's why I never mentioned it to you. I didn't want to see you hurt." Vikram answered honestly. He hoped she won't get mad at him for hiding it. To his surprise, she seemed to be okay with it. 

"If you don't mind, please tell us what happened." He requested her. "Only if you are okay with it."

Rukhsar started the story. "When we started our research no one was interested in the subject. One day Dr. Gupta made a surprise visit. He looked very interested in our work and decided to provide more funds. That's when Ramesh uncle came into the picture. He said Shubha needed some experienced physicist to handle this. It's a coincidence that I got an offer in another department on the same day."

"It's not a coincidence. He did this to get you away from her" said Vikram.

"Such things happen only in the films. Not in real life." Shubha retorted.

"You don't know what these evil-minded people are capable of." 

Rukhsar sensed another round of fight about to begin. She started speaking quickly. "He convinced Shubha to let him join her. She didn't suspect anything. He was her uncle after all. Few months later, my new supervisor Dr. Vidya noticed Shubha's research. She was so impressed that she offered Shubha to work in her lab. She even said that she won't require credit for helping her, unlike her uncle."