Chapter 37 - The award function

"Why did you hire a designer for me?" asked Shubha.

"Come on. You are a star now. I am your manager. Wear whatever you like among the designs shown by her" said Vikram.

"Hello Mr. Self proclaimed manager. How can you be so sure that I need your services?" She asked him.

"I will be homeless if you don't let me take up this job." He said in an innocent tone.

"What should I pay you?" She giggled.

"You know, the usual thing." He waited to see the effect of these words. She scowled. "A smile." He continued. "That's all I want." He said making her blush.

"Okay. I have work now. And after that I have to work on my speech." She stood up and left for her personal lab.

His smile disappeared on the mention of the speech. Long ago, the day the reviewers praised him, he kept a speech ready. A tribute to his father. Now he won't be using it.

Perhaps that's what being a director meant. Never the one to shine. Always step aside and let others take the stage. He still had to get used to the feeling. He wondered how his father used to feel. He never saw him complain. 

Nevertheless, he felt happy for Shubha.

---***---

"What article? Which article? There are like a million articles about our movie" said Vikram.

"This is about the controversy. It says women are not allowed to rule kingdoms in our movie. They just fight wars" said Naveen.

"It's not my fault if women were denied the throne in those days. How can they judge the story when they have just watched half of it? In the second part, Dhwani becomes queen." Vikram argued. "If they haven't noticed, the main characters are women. The story is based on their decisions. We have also written the ladies' names first in the end credits."

"They say Shubha had equally important role as that of mine. But she was paid only 10% of my remuneration." Naveen read out the article. "They just need some reason to degrade our film."

"What shall we do now?"

"We have to address this issue. Let's make subtle hints about the explanation we wish to give." Naveen suggested.

"Let's wait until the award function is over." Vikram ended the call.

---***---

Shubha wore a beautiful black saree with blue blouse. She completed the look with a subtle bindi and a small and elegant necklace. She looked gorgeous. She thanked the designer and the stylists.

They reached the venue. "I am so excited." She told Chris. "All three of us will be getting awards."

"Three?" asked Chris.

"Yes. You, me and Vikram." She said as if it was obvious.

"Who said he won?" Chris blurted out before Naveen could stop him.

"He didn't win?" Shubha was confused. They tried to cover up. But she was adamant. She demanded an answer.

She rushed to Vikram and Latha. "Why didn't you tell me this? I don't want this award."

"Shubha! Keep your voice down." Latha warned her.

"You didn't have to sacrifice Bhaskar uncle's award for me. It should belong to him and Vikram. Let's talk to the organizers. There is still time." She said innocently.

"No Subbu. It is already decided. They can't change it now. They already informed the other director that he won." Vikram explained.

"But winning an award for your father is your dream. Please go, fulfill your dream. Please." She was in tears.

"No. Shubha. Don't cry. Please. He will be equally happy to see you win." Latha consoled her. She agreed reluctantly.

The announcement was made.  "Ladies and gentlemen. Please put your hands together for the Princess of Telugu Film Industry, Shubha Narayan."Shubha walked ahead to collect award amid applause.

She took the award. She was given a mic to make a speech. She couldn't speak for few seconds. Vikram, from the audience, signaled her to calm down and speak. She took the hint and drew in a deep breath.

"Andariki Namaskaram. Thank you so much for presenting me with this award. It was completely unexpected. I never thought I would venture into films. I would like to thank Latha garu and Vikram garu for trusting me. I would also like to thank my team members for all the support and co-operation." She paused. "I would like to dedicate this award to legendary director Bhaskar garu." She said making Latha feel surprised.

"It was his dream to make a movie that will make Telugu Film Industry feel proud. I hope we did make him proud." She paused again for the applause to stop and then continued. "A special thanks to the man who gave everything to this film but asked for nothing in return. Vikram garu. He may not be equally talented but he carries the same passion and love for cinema as his father."

The audience stood up one by one and gave him a standing ovation. Needless to say that Vikram received loudest applause.

---***---

"Why Vikram?" Shubha asked him after reaching home.

"Because I wanted to see you smile." He answered.

"What about your smile?"

"My smiled doesn't make me happy because I can't see it. Whereas your smile fills my world with happiness." He smiled at her. His smile was contagious. She too smiled.

"Look at you two. I just want to let go of my strict mother title when I see you like this and go 'Awww'. " Latha giggled. "Let's get you two married quickly."

---***---

Don't forget to vote and comment. Thank you.