Chapter 38 - The Wedding planning

I know I am writing a lot these days. It gives me a great relief and makes me feel better. 

Thank you for the get well soon wishes. I am already feeling good.

---***---

"Shubha akka, wear pink saree for your engagement" said Disha. "I'm also wearing pink frock."

"No. Blue" said Dhruva. "I'm wearing a blue shirt."

"Kids! Shubha akka will be wearing red. That's final. So, you might want to change the colours of your clothes" said Sandhya.

"No. Let them wear whatever they want" said Vikram. "I mean, why do we have to wear matching clothes like school kids?" 

"Vicky. Why don't you admit that you don't want anyone else to wear red?" Sandhya giggled. "You want your Subbu to be unique."

"Then let's mention in the invitation cards that none of the guests should wear red clothes" said Latha. "We'll send them back if they do."

Shubha looked at the family and smiled. Soon it was going to be her family. Her mother-in-law loved her like a daughter. Her sister-in-law was a good friend already. Her niece and nephew are so adorable. And her Vikram. Her husband to be.

She never thought a simple girl like her would end up marrying a star like Vikram. She recollected their first meeting. The maid alerted him thinking she was a thief.

She wondered if she really deserved a man like Vikram. She knew she shouldn't think about social status. But she couldn't help thinking practically. She and Vikram led entirely different lives before they met. She had nothing while he had everything.

She felt the love being showered on her, a bit overwhelming. She excused herself and went to her room.

She received a call from Naveen. "Shubha, congrats. My dearest sister from the sets is marrying my friend. Party time!"

"Not now Naveen. Maybe next week" She said in a dull voice.

"What happened? Did he say something? Did he quarrel with you again? Tell me. I will punch him in the face."

"No. He didn't say anything." She said in the same dull tone again.

"Then? Who did?"

"No one did. It's just that I,..." She paused. "I feel I don't deserve this."

"Deserve what?"

"Vikram" She said.

Naveen was expecting this to happen. He was glad she chose to share it with him. "Why do you think so?"

"Because our life styles are different. I was a normal girl before I met him--"

"And now you are a star." He pointed out.

"It's all because of him." She added. "Do you think this is fair? A man like him and a woman like me? We love each other. But, is that enough to lead a happy life?"

"Tell me something Shubha. Did you observe any change in Vikram?"

"What change?"

"The Vikram you met several months ago and the Vikram you are seeing now. Is there any change?" He repeated.

"No. He is always the same adorable Vikram." She smiled.

"That's the answer to your question. So much has happened since you met him. You became a star and he became a great director. Yet your equation is the same. He fell in love with you. But you didn't ask him to change himself for you. Isn't that more important than social status? You are one of the few people with whom he can be himself. That's the best part of your relationship with him. " Naveen explained clearly. "You don't have to worry about what you were before. Just think about what you are when you are together."