Chapter 9 - The first shot

"I'm nervous" said Vikram.

Chris sighed. "You already said this seven times. Repeating it won't change anything. Just remember this is not the first time you are directing a film. You made a--"

"Web series. I know. This is different. I hope everything goes fine." Vikram wandered on the sets stopping here and there, giving instructions.

"Don't worry. You have the best team." 

"I do?" Vikram asked doubtfully. 

"Of course. You have got me, one of the most talented guys in the industry. Naveen is a terrific performer. Dhwani is a director's artist. Pragathi's performance is always on point. And you, yes, we should have selected a better looking guy. But you are not that bad." Chris winked at him.

"Yeah? Very funny." Vikram chuckled. "What about Subbu, I mean Shubha?"

"Who? The new girl? You didn't let me watch her performance. But I am sure she is good. Dhwani said, with proper guidance, she will reach greater heights."

"Really? I need to check on her one. Hope she is doing fine." 

"Hey! Wait. You are not allowed there." Chris pulled him back. "Remember not to do this again. What will the media say if they come to know?"

"What this actor turned director does on the sets will shock you. How is this?" asked Naveen.

"When did you get here?" 

"I have a habit of appearing in the most unexpected of places" said Naveen proudly. "What are you so worried about?"

"This is her first shot. I hope she performs well."

"I can lower my standard for her. That way I won't dominate the scene." Naveen suggested.

Vikram looked horrified. "You will do no such thing."

"Alright. Calm down man. Look at the beautiful sets. Imagine how beautiful it will look after adding the visual effects."

Vikram looked around. "What's there to look at? It's just-- Oh!" He stopped talking. Shubha walked into the set wearing a red saree and hair tied in a bun, wearing simple jewellery. She had red paint on her forehead to show that she was injured while getting arrested.

"You are almost drooling." Chris whispered in his ear.

"What are you talking about? I never, that's so, whatever." He said making the other two laugh silently.

"Vikram sir. Thank God you are here. I am so scared." She rushed towards him.

"Careful."

"What am I going to do?" She was visibly nervous. So nervous that she didn't even notice Chris standing there.

"Why are you so nervous? This is not real shooting. It's just for future reference. To test your strengths and to know your weaknesses. A part of pre-production." Vikram lied to her.

"Really? They didn't tell me about this." She looked a lot more confident. She greeted Chris and Naveen.

"Ready? Naveen will help you."

"If this is for reference, then why did they spend so much time on our makeup?" She asked.

'This girl is very intelligent.' He thought. "I believe in perfection. I intend to start real shooting this evening. Hence the costume and makeup."

"Okay. So Naveen will put Princess Chandrika, I mean me, inside that cell?" She asked pointing at the cell.

"Yes."