Chapter 25 - Together... Forever

"You're joking. Right?" asked Pragathi.

"Latha aunty is going to kick you out" said Shubha.

"You did all this? And you didn't involve me? I hate you" said Naveen.

"Are you guys interested in knowing the remaining story?" asked Vikram.

"Yes" They nodded.

"Dhwani's love story started long ago. Last year, she gathered some courage and tried to convince her parents. Her brother supported her. Her mother reluctantly agreed. Her father pretended to agree. Wait I didn't tell you who the guy is. Dhwani, should I tell them?" He asked her.

She nodded. "Here's the picture of Dhwani and her husband." Vikram typed a very long password in his phone and opened a folder.

Shubha looked at the picture. She almost dropped the phone. Naveen caught it. The other two looked at the picture. They were equally shocked. It was Chris. 

"Subbu. Say something. Anything.  Say Oh my Dumbledore! like you always do" said Vikram.

"My favourite actor is married. I had so many dreams. I created a hashtag to trend on his wedding. I planned to make so many edits for him. I even planned a common DP to be used by fans on his wedding day. All my efforts are wasted." She ranted. 

"How come we never noticed this?" asked Pragathi.

"Call him. I'll break his bones today." Naveen demanded. 

"Let's hear the remaining story before calling him" said Shubha. 

Vikram continued the story. "Her father pretended to agree. He tricked Chris into talking to a famous criminal who is accused to have committed several crimes."

"Wait. Why did he talk to that man?"

"We don't exactly remember the faces of all criminals. Do we? Chris believed that the man was his childhood friend and gave him some money to get his mother treated in a hospital. That was caught on camera. Now Dhwani's father, blackmailed her saying if she didn't breakup with Chris the video will be handed over to the police and uploaded online. That is enough to ruin is reputation in the society and his career. He might even get arrested" said Vikram.

"But it doesn't prove that Chris is involved in illegal activities" said Naveen.

"Who will believe it? If someone's seen with bad guys, then by default they are termed a member of the bad guys' group. There is a misconception that film stars have connections with such people."

"What's wrong with our society? Always blaming innocent people without knowing the truth." Shubha was furious. "Why did your father do this?"

"Chris's parents were famous. But they died long ago. He is not as rich as me. My father feels that he is beneath us. The worst part is, nanna liked him before he knew about our love affair. According to him, Chris is a good man but not good enough to be his son-in-law." Dhwani said bitterly.

"So none of your family members know about your marriage?" asked Pragathi.

"No. They don't. I'm sure Bhuvan will understand. Her mother might need convincing. But her father..." Vikram shook his head.

"How did they get married?"

"Dhwani agreed to stay away from Chris. She was so distressed that it started affecting her health. Last year when we went to Sikkim for shooting of my previous film, with her as lead actress of course, I called Chris. He secretly reached the hotel we stayed in. He talked to Dhwani and asked her to marry him. She was scared. She finally agreed on one condition. She won't go and stay with him as his wife unless the evidence is destroyed. She didn't want to see his future ruined." Vikram patted Dhwani, who looked like she would burst into tears.