Chapter 39 - The snake bite

"What's the problem?" asked Vikram.

"My program is not working." Shubha sighed.

"Your equipment must be malfunctioning. It's impossible for my Subbu to create a program that doesn't work." He said.

She blushed. "What did I do to deserve you?" She pulled his cheeks.

"Can I get a hug?" He asked her.

"You are being greedy now." She pushed him away, giggling. "Now I have to change the program."

"Wait. I am not an expert or anything. But if you need any help please do tell me." He offered. "I can be your assistant."

"I have 73 combinations of values out of which I took 20 most likely combinations and inputted them to the program--"

"Wait. What about the remaining 53?" He interrupted.

"I am sure they won't work. Besides, I have to cut the costs somewhere." She said as if it was the most obvious thing.

"How can you conclude without trying everything? Don't change the program before trying all combinations." He stopped her from changing her program.

"But--"

"You don't have to worry about costs. This is our house. Not your workplace. Run every combination and see." He advised her.

"Okay." She finally agreed. She inputted all the combinations to the program. "It will take some time to run completely. You finally get some time to sleep."

"I can't sleep now. I have to buy the ring." He could feel his cheeks turn pink.

"If it is my ring, then you should take me with you." She said.

"No. It's a surprise. I want you to see it on the day of engagement." He waved at her and left for the jewellery shop.

---***---

"This is the necklace my mother made me wear on my engagement." Latha gave ancestral jewellery to Shubha. "It's yours now." She helped Shubha wear it. 

"It looks beautiful" said Shubha.

"You look more beautiful" said Latha.

"Can I wear it on my wedding?" Shubha asked for permission.

"Not wedding. For wedding let's buy new jewellery. Wear it for some other function." Latha was about to keep it in the locker when her eyes fell on a simple gold chain. She took it out and caressed it.

"It's beautiful." Shubha remarked.

"It was his first gift to me." Latha smiled at the memory. "He saved money for three months to buy me this on my birthday."

"Was yours a love marriage?" Shubha asked her.

"No. Love after marriage." Latha giggled.

"Aunty, tell me your love story. Please. Don't say no. How did you feel when you first met him?"

Latha blushed. She took a while to compose herself and started telling the story. "I was only 20 when my mother told me about him. She said the prospective groom was coming to see me just a few hours before they arrived. I panicked. I wasn't ready for marriage. I still had my final year exams to complete."

"What happened next?" The story sounded interesting to Shubha.

"My aunt helped me get ready. She adorned my hair with fresh jasmine flowers and my eyes with kohl. When she finished, I couldn't believe it was me. I looked so beautiful back then."