Chapter 30 - A night at the hospital

The seven-year-old little boy looked around to see that he was in an unknown place.

He panicked and called his father. "Dad! Where are you?"

There was no answer. "Mom! Dad! Help me." He shouted again. There was no answer. He started shivering. "Can anyone hear me? Take me to my mom. I want to go home." He desperately tried to call for help.

No one could hear him. He looked around once again to realize that he was in an island. An island with absolutely no means to escape and reach home. "Mom! MOM! HELP ME!"

"Vicky! Vicky, what happened? Open your eyes. I'm here." He heard his mother's voice. He immediately hugged his mother. He felt her wrap her arms around him protectively.

"Vicky? Look at me. Did you have a nightmare?" Bhaskar asked him.

"I saw a big monster take me away from you two." Vikram shivered again. Bhaskar rubbed his palms and feet. "No one can take you away from us. It's just a dream."

Vikram looked unconvinced. "Even if someone tries, I will fight them" said Latha.

"Are you strong?"

"Yes. I am super strong."

"Don't go away. Stay with me." Vikram held her hand very tightly and slept on her lap. "Don't go away." He repeated.

---***---

"Please help! My mother is unconscious. Please call a doctor." Vikram reached the hospital. Shubha followed him. They responded immediately. Latha was taken inside.

"Mr. Vikram. Please tell us how it happened." One of the doctors asked him.

Vikram threw a disgusting look in the direction of Shubha before answering her. "We were discussing something. She got emotional and started scolding me. And then suddenly she fainted." He blinked away tears. "She opened her eyes on the way to the hospital. I tried talking to her. I'm not sure she heard me."

"I brought her medical reports." Shubha gave the reports to her.

She checked the reports. "Please don't panic. She will be fine." She went inside.

Vikram sat down covering his eyes with his palms. Shubha could see that he was trying to hide his tears.

He felt Shubha sit beside him and place her hand on his shoulder. Every bit of him wanted to jerk it away. Yet he couldn't bring himself to do that. She gently pressed his shoulder in assurance. He didn't respond.

A junior doctor came out of the room. He looked around for nurse. "These medicines need to be brought..."

"I'll get them." Shubha took the list. Vikram didn't object. He watched her walk hurriedly to get the medicines. She returned in five minutes. "Here."

"Thank you." The doctor went inside.

She sat beside Vikram again. "She will be fine." He didn't answer.

After about half an hour, the doctor came out. "She is fine. It's just because of stress. She is conscious and responded properly to our questions." She turned towards Shubha. " She's under observation for now. Tomorrow we will conduct a few tests and see if we need to change the dosage of her medicines. Will that be okay?"

"Yes ma'am. Thank you so much. Can we go inside?" Shubha asked her.

"Sure. If you feel she is losing consciousness, call the nurse stationed here, immediately." The doctor nodded at them and left.