Chapter 7 - The Screen test

Telugu words in chapter : Anna/Annayya = Elder brother

---***---

"Vicky, what are you playing at? She is a scientist. Not an actress. How will she manage?" Latha sounded angry.

"Relax mom. She will be fine. She agreed to this." 

"This isn't right Vicky. We can't take advantage of her helplessness. Just because we are paying her doesn't mean that we will manipulate her into doing anything for us."

"Mom please! I gave her an offer and she accepted it. I am selfish, I agree. But I didn't brainwash her into thinking that this is the best for her. She's not a kid. She knows what's right for her. She herself walked into my office and told me that she is willing to do this" said Vikram, defensively.

"Did she?" Latha frowned. "Fine. If she wants this, then I won't stop her. I'll be there during the screen test tomorrow. Let's see how she performs."

Vikram nodded and led her to her room. He sat there massaging her legs until she fell asleep. He walked towards his room when he saw Shubha pacing up and down in her room.

"You didn't sleep yet?"

"I am nervous about the screen test tomorrow. I never did something like this in my life." She said in a worried tone.

"I felt the same on the eve of my first audition." He said recollecting old memories.

"Audition? You?" She was shocked.

"Yes. Remember the movie in which I played the lead actor's teenager cousin?" He asked her. 

"No" She answered. 

"Sorry?" 

"I didn't know this. Honestly speaking, among all your nine films as lead actor, I watched only six."

He looked at her face keenly to see if she was joking. But she was serious. He shrugged.

"What I am saying is, when I auditioned for the role, ten years ago, I was equally nervous. But once I went and stood there, I forgot the director and everyone else who were watching me. The only thing I remembered was the dialogue I was given. That's the only advice I give you today. Forget everything else and concentrate on the work at hand. Only then you will be able to give your best." He advised her. "Sleep. Everything will be fine."

"Thank you sir." She smiled at him and closed the door.

---***---

"Vicky, I'm back." said Naveen.

"You are here?" asked Vikram.

"We meet after three weeks and that's how you greet me? Come on give me a hi-fi" said Naveen.

"It's High-Five. Not hi-fi." Vikram corrected him. 

"Alright. Alright. Now tell me. Where's this new girl who captured your heart? I have been told you started writing poems." 

"Chris! You told him?" Vikram glared at Chris, who pretended not to hear him.

"Not just me. He told Pragathi too. Very soon it will be viral on YouTube" said Naveen. "The title will be 'What this Superstar thinks about his new co-star will shock you.' How is it?"

"Naveen. Go annoy someone else" said Vikram. "Wait. Tell me what he told you." Naveen showed the message Chris sent him. 

Vikram read it. "What is this? Cheeks so red that put tomatoes to shame. Teeth so white that they shine like diamonds. Eyes that petrify those who look into them. When did I say all this?"