Chapter 18

The Capital

Ever since the establishment of the empire, the appointed Lords of the house of Bruella dedicated themselves in guarding and subjugating the monsters inside the forest of death.

Normally, nobles are very active in attending social activities and gatherings to secure relationship with other nobles to spread their power and influence. But in the case of the Bruella household, the Lord of the house secluded themselves in their territory and only their children and the wives is attending social activities.

Since the central region is the center of the empire where most social activities is hosted, the nobles tend to buy lands and properties in the capital. So it is normal for them to have properties there.

Also, the capital is the center of gossips and the current news all over the empire are there through newspapers.

"Have you seen Countess Margarette? Is it just me or the Countess seems inactive these days. There's never a party that she missed specially if it's hosted by you Duchess Montero."

A noblewoman said with a confused tone, that made all the madams sitting around the rectangular shaped table turned their head towards her.

"She also sent me a letter that she won't be able to attend the upcoming party in my house. That is very unlike her."

"What's the current news in the east? Did something happened to her?"

The Countess of Bruella County is known for being one of the flower in the noble society who is very active in every social events. A flower title is given to those ladies who are not only beautiful but also has a lot connection with other noble families.

They are an epitome of beauty, power and wealth. Since she is a daughter of a Marquis before she got married to the Lord of Bruella, she was able to get that title despite of her current title as a Countess.

"Actually, few weeks ago my husband received a confidential information that came from the east. I don't exactly know what it is but if it's connected to the Countess' whereabouts then it must be serious."

All heads turned to Duchess Montero when she joined the conversation. It was rare for the Duchess to share her opinions to other madams which made the nobles excited.

"There weren't a lot of news from the east these past few years, I wonder how's the lands are doing."

Among the five regions of the empire, the east is the most silent one. Since there are only few people visit the region because there weren't a lot of beautiful places that can be found in the land and the fact that the danger of the forest of death is what the ordinary people is scared of.

"Let's just hope the land is doing well because if it's not we are all dead."

One of the madam said jokingly. Although she meant it as a joke they still feel a little fear inside them since it is true.

"Oh, did my joke made everyone uncomfortable? I'm sorry I can't help my mouth spouting nonsense."

The madam immediately apologize when she felt their uncomfortable gazes towards each other.

"It's fine Countess Morville, I think we should go on to another topic. There are a lot of interesting news going on these days."

Duchess Montero said and smiled at them.

"Oh, speaking of news, I heard that Princess Historia and Princess Irisviel had a fight in the tea party held in Welverine duchy."

"Yeah I heard it too from my daughter. It's quite disappointing to know that Princess Historia is already causing a trouble right after the declaration of her engagement to the First Prince."