Chapter 16

Hunting the rats

The forest of death is considered as the most dangerous place in Luminaria. Not only it screams danger but it is also a mysterious place where no one was able to fully explored the deepest part of the forest and unfold the secret of its existence.

"Lavender are you really sure about this? You might have a strong magic but you are still a child, a five year old one to be exact."

Count Bruella said in a serious manner as soon as they set their foot inside the safe zone of the forest once again.

"Once I decide something, I don't change it. I know I'm still not ready however I can't let myself play around with noble kids in parties while the enemy are always watching me and plotting to get rid of me. Besides I know that you know that this is the best choice we have."

"If I let them see that I am training outside, they might make another plot how to counter it. So save your worries father, I won't let myself die."

With her firm answer, the Count couldn't refute anymore. Ever since he never saw her daughter failed in everything she do. He trust her ability and intelligence but he can't still help to worry about her safety.

Their relationship may not be good in the surface but he truly cares about Lavender. The one who give light to his dark world and got him out of his boring life.

"Is this the place?"

Kirsten asked when they stopped in a wide glade which is different from the glade where she created the helicopter.

"Yes, this part is the closest glade to the main entrance of the forest. Since this is a place that only I and Airon know about, there should be no one to spot you here even if there's an intruder."

The place is full of dry leaves and rotten branches surrounded by tall and wide trees that blocks the rays of the sunlight.

"Even if it's hidden, I still need to do something in this place. Should I put a barrier or traps?"

"Don't use traps, my knights might be put in danger."

"Ah right."

Since the Bruella family is in charge of guarding the forest, they sometimes roam inside to ensure that no monster will be able to set foot outside.

Today, Count Bruella will accompany Kirsten to go inside the forest of death and take a look what it really looks like outside the safe zone.

And she has to passed the test of the Count and that is trying to not faint inside the forest for an hour. Kirsten thought it was a ridiculous test but he said that the mana inside the forest is very strong that even mages would faint by staying too long inside.

In the case of aura users, since they don't have mana nor they can't feel it, they are not affected by it so they are more suitable to guard the place.

"Father, I have another request once I passed your test."

Kirsten said in the middle of their walk towards the main entrance of the forest.

"You've been asking too many requests lately Lavender."

"I am not, besides it's just a simple request."

Kirsten answered nonchalantly while fixing her eyes in the ground

"So what is it?"

"Teach me how to manifest aura and swordsmanship."

The Count immediately stopped from walking and looked down on her with a shocked expression.

"Are you trying to kill yourself?!"