Bad News

Ava just sighed as she looked at the doctor already knowing this wasn't good. "It's bad isn't it!" Ava told the doctor as she had pretty much accepted it by now. The doctor just sighed as she looked at Ava.

"Well we ran some routine blood tests and they didn't come out so well," the doctor told Ava making her start freaking out as she realized this was probably more serious than she had thought.

"What are you saying!" Ava asked as she began to start fearing the worst the doctor just sighed again as she looked at Ava yet again. "Her red and white blood cell counts are abnormal," the doctor told Ava, making her heart almost stop as she realized what the doctor was saying.

"Oh god! Please please please tell me you're not about to say what I think you're about to say!" Ava screamed out as the tears started to flow again. The doctor just looked at Ava again with a deathly serious look.

"We would like to do a bone marrow aspiration and biopsy," the doctor told Ava. Ava froze as the words hit hard like a ton of bricks as she realized what was happening. "A what!" Ava screamed out as this was really hitting her.

The doctor just sighed as she looked at Ava. "A bone marrow," the doctor began to say, but Ava cut her off not wanting to hear the words again. "I know I'm just... this is just... it's too much! I can't... I can't do this!" Ava screamed out as she took off running out of the hospital and started running back to campus.

Ava groaned when she accidently ran into Zach Fortson. The one guy she couldn't stand at her school as he hated her guts and made it very clear. Her father had stolen from his father which caused him to blame her when she had nothing to do with it and had told him over and over again that.

"Watch where you're going Jalali!" Zach told Ava in annoyance making her get upset as she wasn't in the mood to be fighting back with the boy. "Don't start with me Fortson! I'm not in the mood!" Ava screamed out as she was still trying to process what just happened with her sister.

Zach just rolled his eyes as he didn't realize what Ava was going through and thought she was just some selfish and spoiled brat. "Why did daddy's stolen money finally run out!" Zach mockingly told Ava making her completely lose it as she was having a horrible night and just couldn't hold back anymore.

"Will you shut up! This isn't about money right now! I get that you're angry about what my father did to your family, and believe me I am too! But my father didn't just ruin your family! He ruined my family too!" Ava screamed out as she was sick and tired of Zach acting like she had a perfect life.

Zach just rolled his eyes again still not seeing that Ava was going through something big. "Oh please! At least you have money! Some people have to work hard to get what they want!" Zach told Ava in annoyance as he had to work so many jobs because his college fund got stolen by Ava's dad.

Ava just full on lost it after that as Zach was acting as though her father didn't ruin her life too.

"You wanna talk about having to work hard! I'm a college student having to raise a 14 year old and a toddler all on my own because my parents decided to just ditch them! And just when I think things can't get worse my brother gets angry and storms off because I told him to stop flirting with his girlfriend and pay attention in school! Oh and just when I think that's the worst of it life has to throw another curve ball at us! Now my two year old sister is in the hospital and they wanna test her for cancer! So stop acting like you're the only one with problems! And at least you have parents! I'm doing this all alone!" Ava screamed out as she had been bottling up these emotions for years now and they all just came piling out.

Zach just completely froze up as he looked at Ava as he couldn't believe what she was saying and he was feeling like such a jerk for not seeing what she was going through.

"Oh my gosh! Ava I had no idea! I'm so sorry I shouldn't have..." Zach began to say as he felt horrible about how he treated her and with what was going on with her sister. He had met her sister a few times and felt horrible about what was going on with her.

Ava just rolled her eyes as she didn't want some pity apology. "Save it! I'm not in the mood!" Ava screamed out making Zach feel more guilty as he really was sorry and wanted to help Ava.

"Ava please I'm sorry! I had no idea! Your sister... she seemed so healthy," Zach began to ramble out making Ava nod as she started breaking down crying again.

"Yeah I know! I don't know what happened! One minutes she's fine running around and giggling then next minute she's struggling to breathe and can't even take in more than a bite of strawberries!" Ava sobbed out making Zach feel even more horrible as he sat down by Ava.

"Is it really that bad," Zach asked Ava who just started crying more as she nodded. "They wanna put her on a feeding tube and they want to schedule a bone marrow biopsy and aspiration! I can't do this! Mal is so young! She doesn't deserve this!" Ava screamed out making Zach nod.

"But Ava nothings been confirmed right? Maybe it's just a false alarm," Zach told Ava trying to help her. Ava just shook her head no as she looked at Zach.

"They said her blood count levels are off! And she has a lot of signs! Even Caitlin said it before the doctor even said something!" Ava screamed out as she knew Mal probably had cancer. Zach just sighed as he looked at Ava. "Yeah but Ava," Zach began to say, but got cut off again.

"I can't lose her! And I should be at the hospital with her right now, but I can't do it! I can't just be around her and act like everything is normal!" Ava screamed out making Zach give her a confident look as he knew Ava needed someone to give her a pep talk.

"Come on Jalali! You're better than this! Don't be a quitter! You're not a quitter Jalali! Go be there for your sister!" Zach told Ava trying to convince her to go back and see Mal. Ava just nodded as she knew Zach was right.

"Yeah you're right! Thanks Fortson! You really helped me. I'm gonna go back in there," Ava told Zach who nodded as he smiled a little realizing he actually was starting to like Ava.

"No problem Jalali! See you around!" Zach told Ava who nodded and then took off back to the hospital to be there for her little sister who needed it.