The Night That Started It All

Author's Note: This is it the start of the main storyline. Anyway I hope you enjoy this chapter and please let me know what you thought.

"Okay so you can stay in the guest room tonight," Caitlin told Ava once they made it to her house and got inside. Ava just rolled her eyes as she didn't even want to be there.

"And where is Mal supposed to sleep? She still sleeps in a crib because she's small for her age," Ava told Caitlin as she still hated that Caitlin had basically forced her to come to her house, so she could watch her like a little kid.

Caitlin just smiled though as she remembered something as she looked at Ava. "Oh I still have my old play pen here from when I was baby. I can go get it!" Caitlin told Ava as she ran off to get the playpen and then set it up in her room making Ava look at her like she was crazy.

"Okay explain to me why Mal's play pen is in your room!" Ava screamed out as she couldn't believe how Caitlin was acting right now. Caitlin just sighed as she looked at Ava. "Because it's safer that way!" Caitlin told Ava who just got upset.

"No! She's my sister! She's staying in my room!" Ava screamed out as she didn't like the way her friend was treating her.

"Ava I think it would be better if she stayed in my room tonight. What happens if there is an emergency!" Caitlin told Ava as she didn't feel right with the situation. This just caused Ava to get more upset as Mal was her sister yet Caitlin was acting as though she wasn't.

"I am not that drunk!" Ava screamed out making Caitlin roll her eyes as she looked at her friend who was having trouble keeping up right. "Ava you can barely stand!" Caitlin screamed out as she took the toddler from Ava making Ava roll her eyes again.

"I'm not that drunk!" Ava screamed out again making Caitlin sigh as she bounced the toddler a little. "Ava seriously I am concerned!" Caitlin told Ava making Ava get upset. "She is my sister! Not yours!" Ava screamed out as Mal was her sister yet Caitlin was acting like she had no authority.

"I understand that, but Ava I am trying to help!" Caitlin told her friend as she didn't like arguing with her, but Ava was drunk and she didn't think Ava was in the right mindset to look after herself let alone a toddler at this point.

"You know what fine! She can stay in your room!" Ava screamed out as she gave up and slammed the door to the guest room she would be staying in. Caitlin then sighed as she looked down at the toddler that was now crying.

"Hey there Mal," Caitlin told the toddler gently trying to calm her down, but it didn't work as the small girl wanted Ava. "I wan Mama!" The small toddler screamed out making Caitlin sigh as she looked at the toddler.

"I know sweetie, but your mama isn't feeling well okay. Come on let's go to my room. I can read you a story!" Caitlin told the toddler trying to calm her down again. Caitlin sighed in relief when it seemed to work as the toddler stopped crying.

"Otay!" Mal screamed out, making Caitlin laugh as she carried Mal to the playpen and then placed her inside. "Okay now we only have educational books, but I think I might have a children's book here somewhere," Caitlin told the small girl making her laugh as she pointed to the diaper bag.

"Dew!" The small girl screamed out making Caitlin nod as she went to the bag and pulled out Mal's favorite book as she held it up. "You want me to read this," Caitlin asked the toddler who smiled and nodded excitedly. "Ya!" The small girl screamed out happily.

Caitlin just laughed as she sat down by the toddler and began to read to her until she fell asleep which was pretty quick as the small girl had been really tired lately.

Caitlin laughed when she saw the toddler had fallen asleep so easily as she placed the book down and got into her bed to sleep. "Well that was easy," Caitlin said out loud as she closed her eyes and drifted off.

Caitlin was immediately woken up a few hours later when the small two year old had woken up crying as she began to have trouble breathing. Caitlin began to panic as she quickly jumped out of bed and ran to the toddler who was making weird noises and gasping.

"Mal! Hey it's going to be okay! AVA!" Caitlin screamed out hysterically as she held the screaming toddler that was coughing uncontrollably and sobbing. Ava quickly got up as she ran over to where Caitlin was screaming.

"MAL! WHAT'S WRONG WITH HER!" Ava screamed out hysterically as she ran over to the toddler and quickly picked her up. "I don't know! I just woke up and she was like that!" Caitlin screamed out as she grabbed her phone and started calling 911.

Ava just held the toddler close to her while she sobbed. "Mal it's going to be okay. Stay with me okay. Please Mal I can't lose you!" Ava cried out as she held the toddler close to her.

Ava began to completely panic when she took Mal's temperature and saw that it was above 104 and she was burning up. "Mal it's going to be okay," Ava told the toddler again as she was trying to calm herself down despite her freaking out inside.

Ava lost it though when the small two year old's nose started bleeding a lot and she started coughing up blood. "DID YOU CALL THEM!" Ava screamed out hysterically as Caitlin told her she would call 911. Caitlin just nodded as she was still panicking.

"Yes they said they're on their way!" Caitlin told Ava who just nodded as she continued to try and help the toddler. "Can't they get here any faster!" Ava screamed out hysterically making Caitlin panic more as well.

"Come on Mal it's going to be okay," Ava kept telling the toddler as she was still trying to convince herself while the small girl just continued to cry, struggle breathing, and cough.

Finally after a few more minutes an ambulance showed up and the small girl was immediately loaded into the ambulance. "Let me go with her!" Ava screamed out with she was still sobbing, making the paramedic look at her.

"Are you her mom," the paramedic asked Ava who shook her head no. "No but I'm her sister and I'm the one raising her! Please she needs me! She's only 2!" Ava sobbed out making the paramedic nod as he allowed Ava to get into the ambulance with the toddler.

Ava just completely broke down sobbing as she looked at the super tiny and very sickly looking toddler on the stretcher as she couldn't believe this was happening.

A few hours ago the small girl was smiling and laughing and now here she was on a stretcher with a bunch of wires and a breathing mask on and barely even conscious.

As soon as they got to the hospital the small toddler was immediately rushed to the back in which Ava wasn't allowed to follow after her. Ava just collapsed on the floor in the waiting room as she just continued to sob. Caitlin arrived as well as she quickly ran over to Ava and hugged onto her just letting Ava sob on her.