Lekha 67

I gave the story briefing to my friends with mild changes here and there. Then we had a session on all the questions that might be asked and their fixed answers. We couldn't afford to make any one suspicious as that would unravel the whole thing, creating dangerous situation for us and the whole family. We tried to stick as close to the truth as possible especially as regards to some intimate questions that might be asked by the curious lot waiting for us. Rudra seemed quite interested in all the questions and answers we prepared. Vaishali had fun imitating all the characters of the Indian soaps while giving her answers. Her acting was atrocious leaving both Anil and me in splits, while Rudra looked mildly confused as to what was making us laugh so hard.

As we entered the village a welcome committee of kids playing in the street greeted us with shouts of joy. Few of them must have taken the job of scouts quite seriously as they ran shouting the news of our arrival for all to know.

" Lekha jiji has been found. Rudra bhaisa is bringing her" rang the cry ahead of us.

I did wonder on how fast the kids could run when they were excited.

So, it didn't come as surprise that we were met with a whole throng of people as soon as we reached the haveli doors. My eyes searched for maasa as she was the only comfort I wanted and the only person I came back for.

I was engulfed in a passionate hug from both sides as Gayatri and Vasundhara gave me a tearful welcome.

" Had you run away?" whispered Gayatri in my ear.

I looked at her in surprise.

" Don't worry... we told everyone .. you were kidnapped" whispered Vasundhara from the other side.

I believed I was soon going to have a crick in the neck with all these surprised movements. I wondered what kind of rumors had been floating around while I was gone.

" Leave the girl alone ... you two. She looks exhausted. Are these your friends dear?" said maasa coming forward and engulfing me in another hug.

" What happened Lekha? You had vanished..." this time it was she who whispered.

The mystery kept getting deeper I thought. Everyone trying to decipher it in their own way.

" Get me out of here maasa?" I requested quietly.

I saw taisa moving towards me with questions of her own, I believe but was intercepted by Rudra to my relief.

" Maasa why don't you take care of these guest here. They are Lekha's friends. Poor things had not slept for a long time and are hungry too." I heard Rudra tell his mother.

That diverted the attention of the crowd as everyone wanted to have a glimpse of the new comers and have their own version of story ready for future retelling. Lekha's story had to wait as it seemed nothing interesting could be got out of her, plus the way she was received by the family it seemed that nothing scandalous had happened with her as first purported.

If given a chance I would have loved to know all the gossip they had come up with but it was safer for me to stay with maasa at that moment till things stabilized. As maasa took me away, it seemed that I was not completely forgotten.

" Is that boy the reason she ran away?"

" Where did the friends pop up from?"

"The family looks so normal as if she had gone for a walk rather than runaway"

"She was kidnapped ... I heard. Who did it?"

I knew even maasa could hear all the gossip but she held her head high and kept walking tagging me along. I had a mild suspicion that those snippets were said aloud for our benefit.