Chapter 20 - A Special Gift

I heard the bells on Christmas day.
Their old familiar carols play.
And wild and sweet the songs repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

"I feel like a marshmallow." Lyssa's voice was muffled as she stared down at herself. Snow boots, snow pants, a thick fluffy scarf, a face mask, thick gloves, a blue parka, and a very warm blue hat covered her entire body minus her eyes. She honestly wasn't sure whether or not he would even be able to hear her, but judging by the way his green eyes crinkled with amusement, he had. The Eleventh Doctor was as protected as she was, and judging by the goggles he held in his hand, there was still more protection required.

"At least you're a pretty marshmallow." His teasing voice echoed through the earpiece he had given her earlier so they could hear what was going on through all the layers covering her head and ears as he handed her one of the pairs of goggles. "Make sure you have those fastened on securely," he instructed her, adjusting his own so that no skin was visible at all. "The temperature on this planet is so cold that any contact with your skin will instantly kill the exposed area."

Lyssa nodded as she put the goggles on, readjusting her hat over them. "I know, I know. This is an excellent idea for a Christmas Eve trip, by the way," she said brightly. "Take us to a planet that could kill us. Though, to be fair, it seems like most planets you take us to end up trying to kill us in some form or another," she teased.

He pointed a gloved finger at her mock-warningly. "That's a bit rude. Your own home planet has its fair share of deadly temperatures, might I remind you. And I think that the beauty of this planet more than makes up for it. This is a highly sought after destination, but the natives only allow a select number of visitors at a time so that everyone who visits has a chance to see everything without all of the troubles that come with large crowds. So I scheduled a slot for us on Christmas Eve while the Ponds were visiting their family back home. I figured that since it was your first Christmas in this universe, I better make it a good one. Are you ready?"

She nodded, double checking that she was fully covered. The Doctor looked her over one last time before opening the door of the TARDI and stepping outside for her to go first. She took a deep breath in anticipation and stepped outside, feeling snow crunch beneath her feet. She drew in an amazed breath as she took in the splendor around her.

Fluffy snowflakes fell lazily to the ground, and delicate ice sculptures dotted the landscape with pine trees frosted with snow in between. The sky seemed to be in the middle of a sunset, for it was streaked with brilliant purples, pinks, and golds that lit up the snow on the ground with bright colors.

She took a few steps forward as the Doctor followed her out, shutting the door behind him. A sparkling light caught her attention and she turned, only to stumble back when a spinning ball of silver light darted in front of her face, glancing hesitantly at the Doctor.

"It's all right, it's just one of the natives," he assured her. "Give her a mo', I think she'll reveal herself soon." And true to his words, the ball began to slow, the bright light fading before disappearing entirely in a shower of sparkles to reveal a tiny winged figure inside.

"A fairy?" Lyssa gasped, staring at the being in awe. The pixie-like figure, no more than six inches in height, was silver skinned with deep blue eyes and white hair as delicate as the snow it resembled. Transparent wings etched in golden designs sprouted from the back of her white gown that fell down to her ankles, revealing slippers in the same shade. 

"Not quite, though you may use that term to describe us," the... fairy... said with a tinkling laugh. "Our true name is unpronounceable for most. I am sorry I frightened you," she apologized with a gentle voice. "That was not my intention. I am she who is designated Noella."