Chapter 28

"She's dope

"She's dope." Alex complimented as he found himself leaning up against the wall next to Symone, watching Talia rehearse her set as Symone's opening act

"I know right." She agreed with a smile.

"One of the best investments my ass has ever made," Marcus commented, making Symone gasp.

"One of." He repeated. Alex let out a chuckle while Symone smiled.

Ever since their studio session, Symone was clear of what could go down with her and Alex if the two of them were alone, and she avoided it at all costs. She only hung out with him group setting, so all he could do was give her looks and not put actions behind it. Even though she really wanted it to happen, a small part of her hoped that she and Alex could potentially have something more than sex.

She wasn't a casual relationship type of girl like Raya was. All the men she slept with, she had been in relationships with. And she had only been in two relationships...

So she didn't wanna set herself up for failure with him. She wanted him to be serious, show her that he was feeling her, and not just desiring to feel on her body.

And at this point in time, she really couldn't tell.

"She the only opening act?" Alex wondered.

"We're working on getting another one," Marcus spoke. "It's still kinda early so we got time."

Alex just nodded before looking to Symone. "Lemme talk to you for a minute."

"Why?" She questioned, giving him a hesitant look.

"Just come outside." Grabbing her arm, he led her to the exit, leaving her to look at him expectantly as they finally got privacy.

"What's up?"

"I was playing some of my songs for the label the other day, and they think our song would be a good move for me." He explained.

"Oh."

She did not expect that to be the kind of conversation he was trying to have.

"Why you sound disappointed?" He smiled. "You love the song."

"They love it more than Raya's?" She couldn't help but ask.

"Raya's song is for Raya, Mo. I'm not about to shop that around like it's mine. You need to stop acting up and recognize you're actually the one people are checking for. You've been the most consistent for years. They weren't even paying attention to my ass, then your voice came through the speaker and everybody suddenly woke the fuck up." He placed a hand on her shoulder. "The only person in your lane is you, remember that."

Symone just looked up at him, the two locking eyes. Her bottom lip slipped in between her teeth as she tried to catch her breath, finding herself losing focus for a second, quickly looking down at her shoes. "Thank you."