Chapter 31

"I thought it didn't matter

"I thought it didn't matter. We're friends who just slipped up one time, talked about it, and moved on. I didn't see the need to bring up old shit that doesn't mean shit." Michael spoke, looking to Derek once the girls were out of sight.

"It does mean something when he's having such an important role in your life, Michael! That nigga stood and smiled in my face, in our house, meanwhile, I'm the one stupid 'cause he fucked my girl, and I didn't know!"

"It's not even like that!" Michael fought back. "Will you just listen to me? It doesn't matter. I don't think of him like that, he doesn't think of me like that. It was, like, seven years ago!"

"How would you feel if I did what you were doing? If I fucked my agent, and then had her continue to be my agent, have her watch Daylen, be around our family, and play it like we're just friends?" He pushed.

"That it didn't mean shit!"

"Oh, you are a Goddamn liar, and you know it!" Derek countered just as loud.

"Why are they yelling?" Daylen observed as he sat on the floor with Symone and Raya, playing with his different toys

"They're not yelling." Raya denied just as the faint sound of Derek's yells could be heard through the walls.  "They are... just talking loud 'cause your Mama hurt her ears." She quickly lied. "Right Aunty Mo?"She turned to Symone for backup.

"Yup." Symone agreed. "Your Mom can't hear good, so your Dad has to just talk a little louder, and 'cause she can't hear, she doesn't know how loud she's actually being, get it?"

"Can I go say hi to her then?" Daylen asked.

"What? You're not having fun with us?" Raya teased. "I think we're pretty fun." She held up one of his teddy bears in her hand, shielding her face. Clearing her throat, she then proceeded to deepen her tone to mimic the bear. "Aunty Raya and Aunt Mo are so fun." Lowering the bear, she smiled at him. "See, even Mr. Bear thinks so."

Daylen let out a small laugh, getting up from the floor. "You can watch TV with me." He suggested happily. "They don't let me watch TV all the time but you will, right?" He looked to the women hopefully.