Chapter 14

"It's crazy how every little move I make public turns into some story," Raya thought aloud as she looked at the comments under her latest Instagram post

She posted a snippet of the heartbreak record she worked on a couple days back, and as expected people were holding onto it for dear life. They ran through her past of ex-lovers, trying to figure out who it could be about. Mostly everyone pointed to Parker which made her laugh, seeing he was the furthest thought from her mind when she was creating the record.

"It's the life you live," Eric responded. "The song is fire, and it definitely needs to go on a project if and when you make one."

Raya nodded in response.

Nowadays, it was more popular to go the independent route. That's what Symone did when she released her mixtape before resigning to their old label, and it worked for her.

Raya wasn't opposed to the idea. But she didn't want to put pressure on herself to put out something she wasn't fully proud of. She felt like she was just getting started.

It was too soon.

But a little teasing to keep people on their toes was always fun.

Her phone buzzed, making her look down, an instant smile appearing on her face. "Our UberEats is outside. I'mma go get it." Getting up, she adjusted her hoodie before walking out of the room and making her way to the lobby.

It was now December, and the New York cold was nothing to play with. That being why she ran to meet the driver outside, swiftly grabbed her bag, and raced back inside so quick she lost her breath.

She took a second to gather herself before getting back to the elevator, leaning against the wall just as someone else joined her.

"You gonna be mean to me if I try and say hi again?" The familiar man in front of her asked as he pressed his floor number.

"No." She simply responded.

"Andre." He introduced, extending his hand only to put it back down awkwardly, seeing both of her hands were full.

A soft smile came on her face at that. "I'm Raya."

The elevator opened on her floor, leading her to exit without another word.

"It was cool meeting you!" He spoke behind her, making her turn around, catching the bright expression on his face as the elevator closed.

She really had no time to entertain somebody, yet, the smile on her face was telling her otherwise.

But in all logical sense, he probably knew who she was. And as always with the dudes she interacted with, she made them work for it. If he was serious about getting to know her, he'd come back around soon enough.

It was nothing new.