Chapter 33

Being away from the one you love was hard

Being away from the one you love was hard. It was even harder when you and the one you love weren't on the best terms. And Michael and Derek haven't been on the best terms for the last week.

If it wasn't about Daylen, Derek didn't want to hear it, which left Michael damn near in tears every day when he called to Facetime his son. He wouldn't tell her where he was, how he was, or what he was doing, and he didn't care to hear about it from her end either.

It hurt him to be so cold to Michael, but he just wasn't about to let the situation slide. After all these years of being together, they shouldn't have issues like this. He shouldn't have to question her character, and he shouldn't have to feel insecure in his relationship with who he felt was his potential wife.

But he did.

And Michael beat herself up on the daily for it.

She knew the kind of man he was, he took shit personally, and she should've known better than to keep her past with Rome from him. If she claimed to love and trust him yet didn't trust him with something like that, did she even really trust him?

Or at least that's how she knew he was looking at it. And the fact he couldn't take a step back and look at it from her perspective hurt.

Her last resort was to pop up at his game. She texted back and forth with one of his teammates, making it seem like she was planning to surprise him. And through that, she got all of the information she needed, from the arena location to the room number.

Her next step was getting her mother to fly out and watch Daylen while she was gone. As Daylen got older, he started getting selective with who he was on his best behavior with. The last thing Michael wanted was to come home from an unsuccessful trip to a messed up house.

Michael was on a clear mission. She needed to get Derek to talk to her and figure out if he was coming home or if this was the end. And if it was the end, she wouldn't put up a big fight. She knew second chances from him were rare, and she probably used up her extra chances throughout the years.

Once Michael arrived at the arena, she decided to watch the game in the shadows. She was dressed from head to toe in Pistons gear, and it wasn't their home court, so she would stick out like a sore thumb. And the last thing she wanted to do was draw attention from Derek, and potentially his fuck up his focus on the court. These last couple of games were important to determine the team's standing in the playoffs, and potentially the finals.

She only saw the opportunity to have time with him was after the game was over and he and his team were making their way past the press to get to the locker room. They had won the game and were on a high, but respectfully were trying to keep humble. She stayed to the side, watching as they all made their way down the hall.

Before she could approach, Derek had coincidentally glanced her way, and he didn't even have to take a second look to confirm it was her. He could make her out in any crowded room without hesitation.