Chapter 25

Symone let out a relieved breath as she stepped back into her house

Symone let out a relieved breath as she stepped back into her house. Her morning was spent listening to the new band arrangements of the setlist. She gave her input and stuck around to hear all of the changes with her creative director, Monica, before she made her way home.

She went straight to the kitchen, ready to dig into the salad she bought for herself. Her plan was to have a late lunch and take a well-needed nap before she had to drive back to LA for some business.

But she was soon interrupted by her phone ringing as she took the first bite of her salad. She quickly chewed, checking the caller ID, seeing Raya's name flash on her screen.

"Hey, Ray." She smiled as she answered the phone, putting it on speaker and setting it on the table so she could get back to eating

"Hey, bae," Raya responded back, happily. "What's up?"

"Just eating this little salad. What's up with you?"

"Nothing, just chilling in the house, just got back in."

"From where?"

"From outside."

Mo let out a laugh. "Raya."

"Symone, no, I called you."

"To have a conversation, which we're having. So tell me who you're out here spending time with, sounds like it was an overnight stay."

Now it was Raya's turn to laugh. "Is that what you and Alex be doing nowadays?"

Symone instantly froze mid-chew. "Woah."

"Yeah, woah. Since when was this a thing?"

Symone furrowed her brows at the accusation. "Uh, you tell me. You really just came at me all the way sideways, Ray."

"Why am I hearing that you and Alex be out here in these streets together?"

"Cause we're friends."

"Mo, you know I know we both know there's more to the story."

"Who exactly are you speaking to that is telling you these things? Raya, I barely know what you be up to. You just love poppin' up on me with all the facts and figures. What the fuck?"

"It's not a big deal, Symone. I just heard that y'all were kinda, like, inseparable at Omari's birthday. From Omari 'cause y'know, I had to call and apologize for missing his little club party that he told me about the day of."

Symone chuckled, knowing Omari would expect Raya to show up for him even when she was across the country.

"Umm, I guess that was the case." She admitted after thinking for a second. "We were having good conversation and, like, it was cool, chill. Nothing crazy."

"Okay, okay. Just checking in, tryna know what's good."

"Oh, I know." Mo smiled, taking a sip of water. "In typical Raya fashion."