12 September 2014

We last saw Elena yesterday. After that the doctor took her for a chemo session. 

"Jeremy?"

"Yes mom?"

"I think you should go home and come back. I'll be here till then."

"No way! I m not leaving until the doctors come out."

"But.."

Soon I was interrupted by a male voice. Doctor.

"Excuse me?"

"Doctor, is my sister alright?"

"Actually, you know that she is suffering from Leukemia and in most cases it is difficult for us to save one. But your sister Elena has 75 % chance of recovering. We'll have to carry out a number of chemo sessions and that might make her weak but she'll survive. The good thing about this case that the cancer was diagnosed in its early stages. So you can relax."

"A...ar...e y...uo s...e c....a...n w...e.e me....e..t ..."

"Ma'am, a cancer patient is very much vulnerable and it is not advisable to let anyone in to meet them, at least not after the chemo. We'll shift her in the ICU and in a day or two you can meet her. Excuse me now."

I was in tears by now and so was my mother. I don't remember being so happy in the recent days. 

As soon as the doctor left, my mother hugged me tight and tears of out happiness, out of hope, out of satisfaction began flowing down her cheeks.

"She'll be alright Jer. My daughter will be fine."

"Yes ma."

"Jer?"

"Hmm?"

"You should go home now."

There was a stillness in her voice; something that guided me and it was then that I knew she was talking about Emily.

"I'll be soon back ma and then we'll together go to my place."

She kissed me on the forehead before I left the hospital.

___________

At around 12 PM, I reached home. I couldn't wait to read what Emily had written. 

When I reached near the doorsteps, I saw Peter sitting there.

"Peter?"

"Sir! I wa.."

"Waiting for me?"

"Yes sir."

"Why? You are just a postman. You don't know anything about me then why do you portray as if you care so much about me? Do I know you? Are you from my past?"

"Remember the old man sir? He was my dad. At the time when death was merely a meter away from him, he had said to me that I should at least help one person in life to make her or his life better. Even a single person would do. And that was when he told me about you and asked me to help you. He knew that these letters are from someone whom you loved too much."

I couldn't help but hug Peter after all that he had said.

"Things will be alright sir. You have got two letters to read today."

He handed over me the letters and I walked in.

The first envelope had just the letter.

Dear Stranger,

I hope you are okay. I am so worried for you. Since the day I came to know about your sister, I couldn't sleep. I kept on thinking about you, your mother and of course my sister Elena. I seriously wish that things turn out to be in our favor. 

When I talked to aunt Cara about this, she said that I should write letters that make you feel better. And so that is what I am gonna do now.

Stranger, I didn't believe in love till the date I met you and that was only because I had no one to love me except my aunt. She did love me but you cannot expect an aunt to love you like your parents. And so I had made up my mind to be strong. But then you came in my life and destroyed all my plans of staying strong. You made me weak, vulnerable and above all you made me believe in love. 

Since that day, I believe that love is the most powerful thing in this world. It can turn you into a monk or can make you a prisoner too. It can add a new meaning to your life or take away the only reason to live. In my case, it added a new meaning to my life and I'll be forever grateful to you.

I love you.

Yours

Emily

Even though I don't remember a thing about us, but I know that she is the one who made my life worth living.

I opened the second envelope and saw a photograph of a child of nearly 2 years standing with a girl of nearly 12 years.

Dear Stranger,

Did you see the photograph? Do you know who are those two? It's you and Elena. 

Elena had shown me this photograph a long back when I had once to come your place. You looked so adorable to me that I couldn't stop myself from keeping this picture.

It is evident from this photograph that Elena has always loved you the most. Even at a young age of 12, she knew that she'll have to protect her brother always. And I truly believe that she still does; even when you failed to understand her.

I thought of sending you this photograph today to let you know how fortunate you are to have her. Now when she needs you, your love and your presence, you should be there for her. 

I don't know what to write at these moments but I just pray that she'll be fine. 

I love you stranger.

Take care!

Yours 

Emily

She is fine Emily and so am I. But are you?

Phew! This is the longest chapter of this book so far. 

Okay so now I guess you people don't intend to kill me. To be true, I had earlier made up my life to kill Elena (how cruel, right?) but when I saw how much you people wanted her to live I just couldn't do that. 

Thank you so much for your constant love and support! <3

-Divya