Happy Anniversary (fluff)

Y/N POV:

I'm wiping and clearing the kitchen counters when I hear a knock at the door. I slightly furrow my eyebrows in confusion, as I'm not expecting anybody.

"Hm... I wonder who that could be."

I open the front door, only to find a cardboard box sitting on the porch. I pick up the box and carry it inside, placing it onto the floor and shutting the door behind me.

Once the door is shut and locked, I turn to the package and start opening it.

Weird. I don't remember ordering anything. Maybe C/N bought something and forgot to tell me about it.

I rip off the strip of packing tape, unsticking it from my fingers and placing it onto the side of the box. I carefully open the box, looking into it.

The first thing I notice is a note on top. I decide to read that after I take out the contents of the box, putting it to the side for later.

I begin unpacking the box, becoming increasingly perplexed as I take out the box's contents.

"Pet food & water bowls, cat food, cat toys, a pet bed, cat litter, and a litter box? Okay, this must have been delivered to the wrong house. We don't have any cats."

I begin placing the items back into the box before I remember the note that was on top. Despite knowing the note most likely isn't addressed to us, curiosity gets the better of me and I decide to read it.

"Come to the back yard, Y/N. I have a surprise."

"Nevermind, this wasn't sent to the wrong house. Who could it be from, though? We don't have pets."

I slightly shrug, putting the note back into the box and standing up. I place the box onto the kitchen table and make my way to the back yard.

I open the back door, shutting it behind me. I find C/N standing in the middle of the yard.

"Oh, hey baby. We got a weird package full of pet stuff."

C/N chuckles softly under his breath and nods, moving a bit closer to me.

"I know."

"There was also a note on top that told me to come out here. It addressed me specifically, too. It said, 'Come to the back yard, Y/N. I have a surprise.'"

"Oh, that's strange. I wonder why. I have something for you, by the way."

I look at him with interest, waiting to see what the "something" he has for me is.

C/N turns around and carefully pulls a box in front of him, slowly opening it. As he's about to reach inside, he stops and looks up at me.

"Are you ready?"

I nod, my interest piqued with all the buildup. He slowly reaches into the box again, grabbing onto something delicately. Confused, I watch him as he picks up a small lump of fur.

"Happy anniversary, baby."

This said lump of fur then turns its head to me and opens its eyes, meowing quietly. It soon occurs to me that he's holding a small, black cat.

I smile softly when I see the cat's green eyes, looking up at C/N with tears welling up in my eyes. A look of panic grows onto C/N's face when I start crying.

"Is something wrong, Y/N? I'm sorry if you don't like it."

I go to pull him into a hug and stop myself, slightly pulling back to look at him.

"Would you be comfortable with a hug right now, C/N?"

C/N nods in agreement, using his free arm to pull me into a gentle hug. I make sure I don't hurt the cat as I wrap my arms around C/N's neck, happily whispering into his ear.

"It's absolutely perfect."

I hear C/N sigh in relief and pull me closer, hugging me tighter. I start crying into his shoulder, no longer able to hold in my happy tears.

"Thank you, C/N. I love it so much."

"Of course, Y/N. You've been talking about wanting a cat for a while, so I thought I'd finally make your wish come true."

I nod and thank him a few more times, getting a "you're welcome" in response every time.

After a few minutes of simply hugging each other with our new cat between us, C/N slightly pulls back from the hug and looks at me.

"First thing's first, we need to pick out a name for our new fur baby."

I nod in agreement, mentally looking through my list of cat name ideas that I've collected over the past few months.

"Should we give her a spooky name, since we got her in October, or should we give her a normal name?"

"I like the first idea more. We could name her after a creature of some kind. Maybe we could name her 'Midnight'?"

I think for a second and shake my head "no".

"No, too long of a name."

I think for a bit and come up with another idea.

"Oh, maybe we could call her 'Shadow'?"

C/N thinks for a moment and slowly nods, seeming to like the name.

"Alright, that sounds good. Shadow, it is."

I smile and pet the cat, hearing the cat begin to softly purr. I feel my heart melt a bit at the adorable noise, my gentle smile spreading into a grin as I continue petting Shadow.

"Her eyes are such a pretty green color. I love them."

"I know, right? Her eyes are actually what first caught my attention when I adopted her from the shelter a few days ago."

I smile and nod, continuing to pet the soft ball of fluff in C/N's arms. We stay like this for a few moments, happily enjoying the comfortable silence between us.

After a bit, C/N gently kisses my forehead and slightly backs away to look at me.

"We should get inside before it gets any colder or darker, Y/N."

I nod in agreement, walking back into the house with C/N and Shadow. I go to the kitchen table and re-open the box of pet supplies, C/N and Shadow fallowing closely behind. I, first, pull out the bowls and cat food. I set them onto the floor, looking at C/N.

"Now, then, where should we keep the food and water?"

~*time skip*~

C/N places Shadow's cat bed next to the living room couch and slightly backs away, looking at me.

"I believe that's all of it, Y/N. I think we have everything set up for Shadow."

I look around at everything and smile widely, feeling my heart swell with love at the sight of Shadow jumping from the couch and onto his shoulders. I giggle softly when she perches herself on one of his shoulders, looking at me and quietly meowing. I lean in and give C/N a soft peck on the lips, gazing at him lovingly.

"I love you so much, baby. Thank you for tonight. This is an amazing anniversary present."

C/N gives me a peck on the cheek and smiles softly.

"I love you too, Y/N."

A/N: This story is dedicated to my partner, since today is our 1 year anniversary. I think this is my favorite story that I've made so far. What do you guys think?