CHAPTER 10 : Part 3

Bondita's p.o.v

Signing off with my name, I folded the paper and stared at it before getting up and walking towards her.

"Tum... kar paogi na?" I enquired.

"Haan, didi. Kyun nahi?" she took it up from me, smiling sweetly.

"Mein sach mein nahi chahti thi tumhe in sab mein phir se ghaseetne ko... Use bhi nahi... Lekin mere paas-"

"Didi... Bas karo. Ap mujhe ghaseet nahi rahi ho. Mein khud apni marzi se aayi hoon"

I smiled weakly and hugged her.

"Samajh nahi aarahi tumhari keise shukaryaada karun... Tum itni badi jokhim le rahi ho hamare liye" I trailed off.

She chuckled before replying.

"Mein ek insaan hoon didi. Aur insaan ka kartavyu hota hai sach ka sath dena... Mein wahi kar rahi hoon jo mujhe karna chahiye"

I nodded and with that, she left with my message. I didn't want to do this but seeing the way the case is progressing, I don't think I've much of an option. Turning to Tappu, I enquired.

"Mein kuch galat toh nahi kar rahi hoon na? Kahi mein uska fayda toh nahi udha rahi hoon?"

"Oho Barrister babu, kitna sochte ho tum! Senior sahi kehte hai... Tumhe na, kabhi kabhi dil ki nahi dimaag ki baatein sunni chahiye" he scolded.

"Agar woh nahi aayi toh?" I enquired cautiously.

He paused for a moment before replying.

"Ham kuch aur karenge"

"Kya? Aj akhri din hai"

"Tumhari Dugga Maa hamare sath hai. Mujhe pata hai woh ayegi" he smiled kindly.

I looked at the Dugga Maa idol and closed my eyes in silent prayer.

----------------<>---------------

"The answer to your question was already said in Court yesterday, Barrister Roy Chowdhary. We only believed what Mrs Beckham told us. She didn't say anything like the accused being accompanied by someone else. What we record are on the basis of what we get. This is what we got. And that's why your husband is the only person in the list" Smith shrugged and gave an evil grin, especially at the last sentence.

"So you mean you are not authorized to check the genuineness of the statements you get but copy them as it is and blame the witnesses. Is that how it is, Officer Smith?" I enquired calmly.

"Not exactly. We do have other evidences to prove your husband wrong, Barrister" he replied in equal composure.

"My Lord! It's clear that Officer Smith didn't even find it worthy to at least check the genuineness of the statements before recording them. Do I have to continue stating what that actually means?" I turned to the Judge.

"What does that mean Barrister Roy Chowdhary?" Hans joked.

"It simply means he was trying to follow the orders of his Governor! He recorded my client's name so quickly without even trying to find out the truth because his Governor said him so!" I yelled at him.

"Okay Barrister Roy Chowdhary, I accept that the accused wasn't alone when he attempted the murder but that still doesn't prove him innocent. In fact, it only strengthens the possibility now as he was having help" Judge interrupted.