CHAPTER 6 : Part 6

Bondita's p.o.v

"I just don't get it! All these years here and there you are, still not a least affected by our lifestyle. I thought at least you would change this long drape of yours today!" Josie glared at me the moment I reached the hall.

"Let her be Josie! It's her wish" Jean snapped at her.

"You know she won't listen" Willu dada shrugged at her.

I gave him a raised eyebrow and he rolled his eyes in reply.

"You look beautiful Bondita... Don't mind them" Daya didi defended me.

"Who cares what she has to say?" I winked at her.

Josie scoffed and crossed her arms. She looks elegant in a red gown.

"I told you I would arrange a gown for you" Samu dada commented.

Daya didi gave him a pointed look but I replied smiling.

"Samu dada you know why I'm wearing this. Yeh mere liye khaas karke KSJ ne bheja hai. Ismein na hi unka pyaar balki khoob ashirwaad bhi hai. Aj ke din mein yeh nahi pehnungi toh aur kya pehnungi? Apke in gowns se bhi zyada sundar hai yeh Saadi" I let my fingers grace over the golden Zari of my royal blue Saree.

Pati babu brought it with him last year, KSJ wanted me to wear it for today – he said. Though he shrugged it off as a joke, I know how much it means to KSJ and honestly, I couldn't be happier about it.

"These people never get it! Usne yeh isilye pehna hai Kyunki yeh ghar se aayi hai... Ismein unka pyaar aur ashirwaad donon hai. Aur toh aur ise pehne se use lagega ki sab yahan uske sath hi hai" Daya didi explained.

I smiled at her with gratitude while everyone except Jean scoffed it off.

As we got seated in our respective places, all I wanted to do was to reminisce the days I've spent here. Three years... three years went away just like that. I've made a lot of friends as well as a family. It's hard to leave them all behind, but this day was to come anyway. And just like that, my disappointment got converted into excitement. Yes! I'm going back! I'm going back to my country tomorrow! After so long, I'm finally going to meet my family members. KSJ would be the same, may have got some grey strands here and there. The thought itself made me smile. Saur Ji should remain the impassive middle aged man he is. Though I find it difficult to imagine him with grey strands, I guess he might have grown some too. And then Som dada and Laya. They would be there by the next two months – if my calculations are right. I hope they look the same. And Batuk! No idea... Chote Zamindar might have grown up pretty well. What if he had a beard? I giggled at my picturization which caused some of the head to turn in my direction. I cleared my throat and put on a grim expression, smiling weakly at an amused Josie beside me.

The Principal was busy wishing us luck on our future endeavours and congratulating us for successfully completing the course. Everything bored me to the core and I found myself falling asleep frequently – only to be pushed aside by an annoyed Josie when I lean on her shoulder unknowingly. After what felt like ages, I realize the speech was over and it was time for the degree to be distributed. I straightened my back and sat erect immediately. It was time to go.

"And now, it's time to present the gold medal to the deserving member of your batch. Yeah you all know who it is, don't you?" Principal Bennet cooed.

"Bon-dita" Everyone around screamed out loud while I closed my ears when Josie and Jean screamed into my ears from both sides.

"Josie! Jean!" I yelled at them.

"Miss Roy Chow-dha-ri, please join us, will you?" Principal Bennet smiled in my direction.