CHAPTER 4 : Part 2

Bondita's p.o.v

It's really hard for me to ignore him, especially when we are alone like this. He's going on and on – ranting about the good old days. I was actually struggling hard to not laugh at the fact that how stupid he looked right now. But he doesn't seem to care. Moreover, after the greatest help of Bhari babu, I don't think he would either.

"Tum sun rahi ho na Bondita?" he enquired for the thousandth time while I remained mute, seemingly ignoring him.

"Dekho mujhe bohot gussa aa raha hai Bondita. Mujhe aur gussa mat dilao" he warned me for the first time today.

I adjusted myself in the seat and pretend to sleep. He chose to be silent for the next few hours as I continued with my pretending. Not after long, we reached my Devipur. Its scent called upon me and I continued being mesmerized by its natural beauty, though I've seen it for so long.

As soon as the motorcar stopped, I jumped out of it – mainly to be far away from Barrister babu. Before I knew it, I found myself standing in front of my hut. I saw Maa coming out surprised and I ran and hugged her hard, my eyes welling up.

"Meri bachi!" she hugged me back. I know she's crying too.

"Bondita... Dekho kitni badi ho gayi hai meri bachi" she said pulling back and caressing my cheek. I just smiled at her.

"Kahan badi ho gayi hai yeh maa? Abhi bhi wahi sharati, nautanki karne wali ladki hi hai yeh" We heard Barrister babu behind us.

"Arre Jamai babu" Maa instantly left me and he took blessings from her.

They started talking about random things, including the mango groves while I stood there waiting. I can see Maa watching me through the corners of her eyes. Of course! A mother always knows if something is off with her child. After some minutes, I sighed and interrupted.

"Barrister babu, kya ap thodi der keliye Maa ko chod sakte hai? Mujhe baat karni thi unse" I said sternly.

I can see the hurt in his eyes. He kept on looking at me with that expression. Then shook his head and left us alone, giving a small smile to Maa.

"Sach sach bata Bondita kya ho raha hai yeh sab? Aise kyun baat ki tum apne Pati babu se?" Maa lashed out at me almost immediately.

"Tumhe jo puchna hai puch lo, lekin uss se pehle tum mujhe jawab do Maa... Mein kuch janna chahti hoon... Aur mujhe sirf sach hi sunna hai"

Maa looked at me doubtfully while I took a deep breath before asking her about the day... the happenings... my unknown past.

--------------------------------------

My thoughts were constantly about what Maa told me at the last. She is right. I have no right to blame Barrister babu for what happened that day. There's no point in me sulking at him for whatever happened. But what they all fails to understand is that I'm not sulking at him for what happened that day or for saving me from it. He has been my Rakshak babu always and I will never grow tired of him helping me out of my miseries. Here, the problem is the simple fact that he decided to hide this past from me. He could have told me about all these. The simple fact that he decided to hide this from me only entails he probably doesn't want to reveal the other scenarios that are part of this past – one being his relationship with buri didi. He doesn't want to reveal to me that I hold no special place for him other than just a responsibility. He doesn't want to say that we will never ever have a normal married life.

Though I can never talk or behave to him the way I did before, I can indeed talk to him. I should talk to him. I at least owe him that much for what he has done for me... what all he has done for me. And that's what I'm going to do right now. I'll apologize for my rude behaviour and would make up with him. Though I can't tell whether we would be back again as how we used to be. I know where he would be now and could not resist a smile when I actually spotted him right there. He's standing there absentmindedly with hands in his pockets, staring towards the evening sun while some children in front of him were busy playing in the water.

"Barrister babu" I whispered slowly.

He sighed and turned back, face busy covering up the hurt inside with a masked self-conscious smolder.

"Bondita didi!!!" A squeal interrupted us and I looked down to see Bholu and Uday waving at me from the water.

I waved them back and was about to turn around when they splashed some water to my direction. I gave them a warning glare and they immediately retreated, only to repeat when I turned again. They laughed hysterically while I shouted at them to behave. They splashed more and more and that's it! I started imitating them, giving them back whatever and how much they gave me not even reducing by a drop. Soon it became a game as more children joined us. I kicked and jumped in the water, soaking the others around me like a wet cat.

"Didi woh kaun hai?" Uday asked me pointing towards none other than Barrister babu. He was watching the show with a small smile on his face, looking nowhere but at me. That's when I remembered why I was here. I internally slapped me for being such an idiot. But how can I get out of something that's so funny like this? Can Bondita ever resist to find happiness?

"Woh Barrister babu hai" I replied looking at him.

"Matlab ap janti hai use?" A wide grin appeared on his face.

"Haan lekin tum-"

That's it! Before I could stop him, he started splashing water at Barrister babu too. In the ecstasy for getting a new prey, other children too joined him and within less than a minute, he's soaking wet in front of us.

"Yeh kya kiya tum logon ne? Dekho mein poora bheeg gaya" He complained.

"Hamne nahi dada. Didi ne bola tha karne ko" Uday shrugged innocently.

"Kya?! Meine kab... Uday?" I glowered at him.

"Acha... Didi ne bola..." Barrister babu rolled up his sleeves and started walking into the water.

"Nahi... Barrister babu meine inse kuch bhi nahi kaha. Jhoot kyun bol rahe ho tum log?"

"Tumne hi kaha hoga... Bohot shok hai na tumhe mujhe tang karne ka. Ab dekho mein tumhara kya haal karta hoon"

He started pacing towards me while I backed off from him. It's too deep at the other side, I can't walk in that direction for so long. I tried moving to the left when he shouted at a kid.

"Beta use jaane mat dena"

The kids gladly complied, very much excited for what is to unfurl in front of them.