CHAPTER 4 : Part 4

Anirudh's p.o.v

Why I did it? Well, out of my temper of course! But it equally surprised me just like Bondita. That was so unlike me and I still regret for what I did. And even after my many apologies and her accepting them, I couldn't help but feel guilty about the whole situation. Of course I was angry. I mean, she was laughing and dancing and jumping there for a second and then in the next, she was back to her sulking mood again – not to mention the way she ignored my calls repeatedly on the way back. It just infuriated me further. I mean, how dare she ignore my calls? My Bondita would have never done that. Whenever I call her, she runs to my side with that mesmerizing and innocent smile to know what I wanted. And then that incident. I just don't understand what is happening to her. She was standing in front of me, talking to me – rather forcing herself to talk to me – and then suddenly was back to the rude side of her again. Why? My Bondita wouldn't have done that. My Bondita can never speak rudely yet even give a stern look to someone. Already I was so angry for her not listening to my calls and still I tried my level best to reply calmly to her. But I lost it when she said she wouldn't hear what I have to say. That indeed was never my Bondita. My Bondita consider my words to be her greatest treasure. My Bondita scolds me if I don't talk to her. My Bondita keeps asking me questions and would never leave me until and unless I and I repeat only I give answer to them, not even her teachers. But this girl... I don't know what exactly happened to my Bondita. This girl standing beside me... I hate her. Yes! I loathe her and all I want is my Bondita.

"Arre aagye Anirudh aur Bahu... Sab theek hai na Devipur mein?" Kaka enquired with a plastered smile.

"Ji KSJ" Bondita replied.

"Thak gaye honge donon... Jao jakar aaram karo"

"Haan... dada, Bondita, mein khana kamre mein bhijwa doongi" Laya informed and went away.

Bondita and I nodded. She turned to give me a fake smile and went behind Laya, obviously planning to be back on the Bahu mode. I clutched my hands into fists beside me. Seriously? Now she have to force herself to even smile at me? What should I make out of this behaviour of her? Will she ever talk or behave the way she was like before? Or is this the Bondita that I'll get to see from now on? I don't want this girl. I want my Bondita, damn it!

Seeing Kaka and Batuk staring at me doubtfully, I turned my way to the study. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Batuk shaking his head in Kaka's direction, obviously telling him nothing is back to normal between Bondita and me. An unknown sigh left my body when I locked the door of the study, examining my injured hands.

-------------------------------

There was no notable change in my mood now either. I'm still under a wave of anger, guilt, regret and what all – I have no idea. There is this brewing storm inside that is refusing to calm down. I couldn't compose myself and assure my being that everything is fine – for I too know nothing is so. These thoughts kept on disturbing me when I heard anklets jingling not too far away from me. It suddenly stopped and a wave of fury swallowed me up when I interpreted why it actually stopped. Before she could speak, I spoke up coldly.

"Poochne ke baare mein sochna bhi mat Bondita" My eyes were still down on the newspaper.

She cleared her throat and said, keeping the cup of coffee on the teapoy.

"Apki kaapi"

Hearing her at least saying the same word she used to say for coffee, my anger left that instant. See! There is my Bondita somewhere in there. I tried assuring myself.

"Thank you Bondita" I replied smiling.

She stood there, jumping from one foot to another.

"Kya hua Bondita? Kya batana hai tumhe?" I enquired, folding the newspaper and keeping it beside me.