CHAPTER 1 : Part 5

Bondita's p.o.v

Sitting next to an unconscious Laya on bed – her hand in mine and head on my lap – I couldn't help but remember the happy times we had together. This wasn't my Laya. My Laya never had an expression of worry on her face. Her eyes were always lit up with joy and kindness radiated off them flawlessly. Her face bright... hands and legs which never tires. The girl in my lap was someone else. A sudden pang of regret and sorrow hit me. She was always there for me when I needed her and I... I couldn't... I didn't... How can I forgive myself for this? How will I –

"Bondita..."

I jumped at the sudden shock but realized it's my Laya who was taking my name.

"Laya mein yahi hoon... Tumhare sath hoon Laya... Apni ankhein kholo, mujhe dekho... Apni Bondita ko nahi dekhogi tum? Ankhein kholo Laya"

"Bondita... bachao Bondita" she murmured in her unconscious state.

"Laya mein hoon tumhare sath. Tumhe kuch nahi hone dungi... Batao mujhe, kya hua hai... Ankhein kholo apni"

She suddenly opened her eyes wide and stared at me for a long time. Then, with a sudden thud, she sprang up and hugged me tightly – shaking heavily. I hugged her back, rubbing my hands against her spine to calm her down.

"Tum mere sath ho... ham sab tumhare sath hai... tumhe darne ki koyi zaroorat nahi hai Laya"

She cried for another five minutes until I heard her cries diminishing to faint sobs. With extreme caution, I made her look into my eyes. Her lifeless brown orbs stared back at me fearfully.

"Batao Laya... Apni Bondita se baat karo. Kya hua tha tumhe?"

"Woh... woh..."

Anirudh's p.o.v

The whole atmosphere changed the moment Laya entered haveli. Bondita hasn't come out of the guest room yet. I wonder what had happened that made a cheerful, smart and sweet girl like Laya end up in her current state. I hope Bondita will have an answer to that.

The doctor said she is extremely tired, probably due to starvation. I assume her journey to haveli will also add to her exhaustion. Kaka and Baba isn't happy about Laya's visit. Kaka thinks it's not good for a girl to end up in another house at this hour of the day. I just rolled my eyes at his remark and ignored it. Baba - well, I think he doesn't care. Som and Batuk has however, shown some humanity and is standing with me outside the guest room, waiting to know more about the whole scenario.

An hour after doctor's departure, Bondita came out of the room, her eyes red and swollen and I know whatever she has to share isn't something normal. My heart skipped a beat at her sight – her eyes carrying sorrow and guilt. Bondita doesn't look good this way.

"Bondita... Tum ro rahi thi?"

"Huh?" Her voice was meek.

"Boudi sab theek hai na? Kya hua tha uss ladki ko?" Som enquired.

"Bohot galat... Bohot galat hua hai uske sath Som dada" she finally spoke up.

"Batao Bondita baat kya hai?" I realize my anger has finally started showing its presence.

"Ap koyi Abesh Bagchi ko jante hai kya?" she asked with sudden determination.

"Kaun? Zamindar Abesh Bagchi?" Batuk interrupted.