CHAPTER 5 : THE DREADFUL DISTANCE

PART 1

Bondita's p.o.v

I stood staring at the white stone house in front of me, it's huge and magnificent. Benedict Mansion - it read. I blinked at the fact that this is the place I'm going to leave for the next few years. Barrister babu has lived here for ten years. Mr Benedict is a close friend of Sasur Ji.

"Madam, please remain here. Let me inform Mr Benedict of your arrival" The valet requested and sauntered off into the house.

My thoughts again occupied the faces I left behind five months ago, particularly the black eyes which stared at me expressionlessly. No Bondita don't go there again! You were doing the same thing for the past five months in that ship. Get out of it now! You've reached your destination and it's time to wrap up the past and focus on what you are here for. Is that clear, Bondita?! I mentally slapped myself when I heard the voice in front of me.

"Ah Miss Roy Chowdhary! How nice to have you here finally!" An Englishman in his late forties approached me with a megawatt smile. He's tall, bearded and has grey hairs between his blond ones. Behind him is a woman wearing a pale yellow Saree in Bengali style, wearing vermillion and less jewelry with a decent and warm smile. She's tall, and beautiful – her black curls flowing flawlessly on her back.

I wanted to correct him with his addressing of me but then I stopped myself. Do I really deserve it? No!

"Sam, you can clearly see it's Mrs Bondita and not Miss" The woman scolded him lightly and turned to me "Kyun Bondita? Sahi kaha na meine?" she smiled at me.

I just nodded and smiled back weakly.

"Meine toh suna tha tum bohot uthsahi ho lekin tum toh ekdam chup khadi hai... Kya hua? Ghar ki yaad aa rahi hai kya?" she came forward and patted my shoulder.

I knew that moment that she is going to be an older sister for me, a caring and compassionate one. I instantly warmed up to her.

Barrister babu had given me some details about the family. Mr Benedict is an official in the Queen's parliament. He married Mrs Benedict after falling in love with her when he came to India for the annual inspection. I remember Barrister babu telling me Sasur Ji was the one who helped the couple to convince their parents for an interstate marriage.

"Nahi aise koyi baat nahi..." I trailed off.

"Tum mujhe Daya didi bula sakthi ho..." she blinked at me in reassurance. I nodded giving a genuine smile.

"Weise Anirudh ne mujhe zyada nahi bataya... Keisa hai woh? Aur Sudamini keisi hai?"

The bag in my hand touched the ground with a thud and she instantly frowned at the action.

"Kya hua meine kuch-" she hesitated.

"Ji nahi, woh maaf karna mere hath se nikal gayi" I took it up hesitantly.

"Daya you better stop this Hindi chit-chat of yours, you know I don't like it" Mr Benedict grunted.

Daya didi gave him a pointed look and sighed.

"Maaf karna Bondita mera Pati kuch zyada hi khadoos hai. He doesn't like when I talk to someone in Hindi because he cannot understand what exactly I am talking" she grinned wickedly at him while he rolled his eyes.

Anybody in their right senses can say the couple is obviously in love with each other. I couldn't help the smile that touched my lips at the couple's cute little fight.